Maintaining under the sink filter

I recently purchased a cold water filter for the kitchen. The guy at the plumbing store suggested bleaching the filter housing for about an hour before reinstalling a replacement filter. I haven't gone the filter manufacturers website or called tech support. The instructions on the filter are nil. What have you heard?

Reply to
New & Improved - N/F John

I've had two filters in my house for the past 15 years. I've never bleached the housings. I do wipe them out with a paper towel. It is possible that bacteria will grow in the filter over time though. If you want to be safe, give the housing a bleach rinse, but I don't thing you'd gain anything over an hour. I've be afraid that the bleach over time would affect the housing.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

A bleach and water solution, wash well and rinse. An hour is not necessary. Would you suspect a service person would spend and hour bleaching a filter housing?

-- Oren

Oren

I kind of thought the bleach would get into the plastic housing. I usually wipe out my Britta pitcher after a while.

Reply to
New & Improved - N/F John

The clerk obviously knows more than the manufacturer, so you better bleach. I have never done mine, but I like to live dangerously.

Reply to
Toller