Main Disconnect not disconnecting

I have a 220 circuit for an electric range that requires work. When I hit the Main Disconnect at the box and shut off the power to what I thought was the entire house, the 220 line was still energized. What do I have to do to disconnect this circuit to complete the work.

Reply to
mike korenchuk

Tony Hwang

Many panels are made where up to 6 breakers must be thrown to "kill" a service. Usually these are grouped together, and only 1 will feed a lower section of the panel that has the usual 15 and 20 amp lighting and general purpose circuits. It is often marked "Main", when in fact, it is not the main, just the l&gp main. So, all of the "top" breakers may need to be thrown to "kill" an entire house. See if there is not a breaker marked for the stove, and throw that one instead.

Tim S.

Reply to
TimS

Was your panel installed before about 1980? If so, it may have multiple mains (you are allowed up to 6). Look for a double pole breaker in the 40A to 60A range and see if it controls your cooking range.

-- Mark Kent, WA

Reply to
Mark or Sue

Be sure breaker is actually unlocking, A bad breaker is possible. Lower load and unlock

Reply to
mark Ransley

Ranges in old fused panels were always separate from the main. Some breaker panels do the same. Start flipping the breakers, or open the box and see where the wires from the range go.

Reply to
Me

Well, take flash light and follow the big range wire from where it comes through the floor. Oughta have a disconnect some where in the house.

Reply to
Stormin Mormonn

Why would the breaker be INSIDE the range? That's silly.

Reply to
HA HA Budys Here

Thanks very much. I belive there are multiple mains, one marked "Main Disconnect" and the other two are the same size and shape breaker switches but are unmarked. The 220 line coming into my stove is a

2-wire line plus ground (total 3 wires if you count the ground). My next quesion is, how do I test to see if this is energized? I want to re-hook the line to the 3-prong outlet now that the new tile floor is complete. MK
Reply to
mike korenchuk