Maglite with corroded batteries

I was going to change the batteries in my 30+ year old 5C maglite because the light was getting dim. Three of the batteries (Evereadys) came right out, but the last 2 were stuck. I pounded on the tailpiece and got one of them out (slightly corroded) but the last one is stuck tight.

I tried removing the lamp assembly, it has a retaining ring that you have to unscrew with a makeshift spanner wrench kind of like the back of a watch, but the switch still holds it in place.

I wrote to Mag and they told me how to remove the switch so I can slide the lamp assembly out the top and then punch out the swollen battery. But they don't recommend it. They said I could package it all up and send it to them and they would replace it with a new flashlight since I was using major brand batteries. Here's the problem -- they don't make this model anymore, so they'd replace it with a 4C. Also this flashlight has a lot of "character" if you know what I mean.

So should I send it back and get a shiny new 4C flashlight that has no soul, or try to repair this old one? (BTW, 5 batteries is awfully inconvenient to replace because they don't sell them that way. But it's a really nice size and heft when exploring something that goes bump in the night)

Perplexedly, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Are you kidding? Get that new flashlight before they withdraw the offer.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Hanig

Get a life, Bob-O...

Reply to
Joseph Capgras

When "exploring something that goes bump in the night", the Maglight should be in your "weak" hand, and your "strong" hand should be otherwise occupied, so the size of your Maglight shouldn't matter...

Reply to
Pete C.

"Pete C." wrote in news:4beaed29$0$17321$ snipped-for-privacy@unlimited.usenetmonster.com:

don't bring a flashlight to a knife fight,don't bring it or a knife to a gun fight.

God made men,Sam Colt made men equal.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

It's awfully hard to clean up some flashlights which have corroeded from battery leakage. I've read hints here but haven't had the chance to try them. However I did try scraping with a knife, which ought to be enough for anything, except that I could only do the spring and not the piece at the bottom which I couldn't get at much, and it didn't work very well.

I wish I knew why they didn't recommend it, but if you don't have close access to all the electricity carrying metal parts for cleaning, getting a good clean will be very difficult.

I see two options. 1) Is there a current model, nicer than the one they've offered you that is about the same as the one you have. I don't konw what is so good aobut the one you have if you would find 4 batteries better than 5. But if there is one, even if it is somewhat nicer than the one you have now, ask if you can have that. If they say no, then you can still take the 4c. They won't withdraw the offer because they've decided your greedy. They might if they decide youre nasty, but I can tell your not nasty, evne fron this one post, not counting your earlier ones.

2) EVen though they advised not to, do your best to take it apart and clean it. If you never fix it, you'll know you can't fix it. Then return it and write a note along with it that you hated to part with that one so tried to fix it yourself, but couldn't and you are happy to take the 4c that was offerred to you. Also mention that you had used brand name batteries, and ship them too, at least the ones that leaked. Again I don't think they're going to punish you for trying to fix something in a way they discouraged. They're no worse off, and

The aboslute worse that happens is that they keep your flashlight and send you nothing. If this seems possible, put in the note that if the offer is withdrawn to send back your old one. I think they'll just send you what you requrest or the 4C. Make reference int he note to the name of the person you talked to, or the phonenumber you called, and the date you called. Even if it was 2 months ago, I don't think they'll punish you for that.

Reply to
mm

Real shame about the batteries. I've lost lights that way. I know what you mean about the old light having personality.

I'd have a go at pulling the switch assembly, according to thier directions. And then (after you get it working again) replace the batteries every year with the clock change and smoke detector batteries.

I've heard Energizer alkalines are the primo brand.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

With enough effort, the one you have can be repaired. If you simply can't, you can always send back the remnants.

The DO make a 5-cell. Tell 'em to send you one of these:

As for buying batteries in multiples of four, that's okay. Back in the days I was a cop, my old 5-cell Maglite had one of the battery spaces taken up by a "cattle prod" bit of electronics. There were two insulated prongs on the base that delivered a "Pay attention, mope!" admonition to the squint I was trying to get to do some simple thing - like quit crying or repeat the Gettysburg Address backwards to prove he wasn't drunk.

Also, back in the day, Maglite promised that if you ever had to use their flashlight as an offensive or defensive weapon, it was up to the task. At a trade show, I saw one of their representatives demolish an apple box with one. Why, I personally have demolished... oh, never mind...

Reply to
HeyBub

Ist, I would soak it in baking soda if possible (to neutralize the acid), rinse, drain, and let it sit soaked with WD or the like. Put the tube on a piece of flat oak...and pound it out. I had to do it once with a 4-Cell Mag many years ago bob

Reply to
Bob Villa