Looking for photocell for lamp

Way back when, I bought my parents a photosensor that was a little black box which plugged into a wall socket & then you plugged the lamp into that. You could put the little black box closer to the window (on the window side of the curtains) and it worked really well, turning the lamp on at dusk, or when the weather made the day really dark.

I have seen units that screw into the lamp between the lamp and the bulb, but they don't do a great job because the curtains interfere with the photosensor's interpretation of light.

Does anyone know where I shoul look for this type of photocell? I've checked all the local places and Googled, but I'm still coming up empty.

Any help appreciated!

Reply to
montana wildhack

Maybe I'm not reading you clearly, but you seem to be looking for the type that doesn't do a great job. Is this correct? If yes, there may be a reason why they're hard to find.

Reply to
Doug Kanter

Well, if you really can't find that "separate" kind you want, you could always wire a lamp bulb socket to a cord and plug, put one of those "screw into the lamp" kind of photoswitches into it, screw a bulb threaded plug adaptor into that and plug the lamp into it.

That would permit you to put the photoswitch in the window.

A bit klutzy to be sure, but it will work.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Hi, I think HD still sells them. You also have a adjusting shutter for cell sensitivity. Tony Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I have seen them at Menards. or even though I am no fan of Ebay, give Ebay a try,

Reply to
maradcliff

I'll see if Menards is online.

To all-

Thanks for the variety of really interesting answers!

The old unit worked really well for many years (read decades) which is why my 85 year old father wants to replace it. He tells me he has the kind that screw into the socket, but he's not happy with them. I don't know if he has properly adjusted the things or not. Considering how well he he gets along with electronics, I suspect user error.

It's my job to try and find stuff for him that he likes without editorializing, because as far as I'm concerned, at 85, it's not too much to ask!

Reply to
montana wildhack

I agree.

What bothers me is when kids say, "We moved our father down to Arizona," or "in with us", instead of "Our father moved to Arizona" "to be near us." They say this about parents who are fully competent, but even if the parent is fully senile, I think it is disrespectful to suggest to others that he or she doesn't run his own life.

mm