liquid silicone?

Does anyone sell liquid silicone that is just in a bottle, not a spray can?

Reason I ask is, I have been in the habit of using silicone on my car's door gaskets, but only have it in two forms - first, as a spray lubricant, and secondly, as a grease (Sil-Glyde) either one of which works, but is not as convenient to apply to weatherstripping as would be a plain liquid that one could wipe on with a rag.

BTW, it really does work, since I started doing that I haven't heard that awful sound of my door gaskets ripping apart because they froze to the door yet... spray silicone in the door lock cylinders every fall too...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Have you tried spraying the stuff onto the rag and then wiping it onto the gaskets???

Reply to
Pete C.

yes, that's what I'm currently doing, it just seems wasteful if a straight liquid product is available. Unfortunately, I haven't seen one.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

George

Sure, mostly in small quantities it's found as a waterproofing for boots, etc. Locally, it's in stock at the store that specializes in Boy Scout gear and the like. Hunting supplies, many working-man's outlets, etc., will have it for boots, etc.

I'm sure google will find it online w/ that as keyword...larger quantities (like gal. and up) are generally industrial use (but doesn't sound like you're using much).

--

Reply to
dpb

I'll have to check that out.

I thought I should mention, and did not in my original post, that if you do this, try not to get any silicone on the car's paint, otherwise if you ever have the car repainted your body shop will curse your name.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Try googling "silicone oil sale". I remember using it by the gallon in the lab as a heat transfer medium.

Reply to
Frank

That's it all right, I think, but at 106 dollars for one kilogram, it maybe less wasteful but it won't be cheaper than what Nate's doing now.

I've found that before, that it's cheaper to buy what they sell a lot of than a little, just like the books say.

Reply to
mm

Maybe this actually is cheaper per weight, but it will take too long a time to use a kilogram, I think.

Reply to
mm

And, how would you apply the liquid? To the seal, and then use a rag?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'm assuming that I'd soak a rag with it and then wipe it on. That's what I've been doing with the spray.

I could have sworn I had two big tubes of Sil-Glyde here too, but I can't find either one of 'em...

nate

(was cleaning up car today... tomorrow will attempt to hardwire GPS and CB to get rid of the horrific mess of cig lighter adapters under the dash... yes I still have a CB because radar detectors are illegal here not to mention against company policy...)

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Just thought of something... would DOT5 brake fluid work? I know I can buy that locally rather than having to order it.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Yes, they do. I used to work for this company when I was in high school in

1963.

Ed Pawlowski

Be careful. Brake fluid can mar your paint job. I use the ubiquitous tire wet products on the moldings. Spray it on a cloth and wipe the moldings.

Reply to
willshak

Liquid silicone is sold in bottles to help join together vinyl gutters. It's applied to the gaskets of those gutters.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

I forgot to mention that, in addition to vinyl gutter gasket lube, there's DOT 5 brake fluid. That's DOT 5, not DOT 5.1, which is non- silicone and, if it's anything like DOT 3 or DOT 4 brake fluid, will eat paint.

Reply to
larry moe 'n curly

Right, you're thinking of DOT3/4 though. DOT5 is silicone based, hence my question . It doe *not* eat paint, although for various reasons it's both better (higher boiling point) and worse (tends to trap bubbles) than conventional DOT3/4 fluids as a brake fluid.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Have you tried Armor All? I believe it contains silicone and won't harm paint or plastics. As for your lock cylinders, graphite is a much better lubricant for them.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

No, I haven't, because of many negative reports of them actually drying out dashboards...

that's a love it or hate it thing I think. Some locksmiths recommend it, others tell you to use anything else (and usually recommend Tri-Flow) I am more concerned with preventing ice forming than anything else, silicone works great for that.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I've been experimenting with industrial chain lube that contains molly to see what els it works on. I've used it on all sorts of things and found that it works wonders. It is especially good for automotive lock mechanisms and hinges.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas