Frozen Doors?

We are getting alot of rain then freezing temperatures.

The doors on the house are sticking some and the doors and power windows in the car are freezing shut.

Any ideas to ease the house doors, they are new this year and I don't want to remove the weather stripping as someone suggested.

Reply to
CathyLee

For the car they make this stuff you can spray into your lock. My latch mechanism also froze up, this is the thing that you see on the "edge" of the door when you open it. I hit that with WD40 and it's fine now.

Nova Scotia, wow. How cold does it get there ? Are you influenced by the maritime currents or is it just cold cold ?

Reply to
roger61611

If you don't have one, get some type of overhang to keep the water off the doors. For the car windows, don't try to use them when they are frozen. You could burn out the motor.

Reply to
Bob

How does that help when the weatherstripping is frozen to the door? A better suggestion is to prevent the freezing by spraying the strip with silicone before the rains and freezing come. In that type of weather, I don't lock the doors, nor do I use the emergency brake. Then again, I never lock the doors anyway as it prevents damage from amateur thieves.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I suggest that people be careful about what they spray into a lock. Oil based products like WD-40 and some of the frozen lock products (which also contain oil) will allow the lock to work better for a while, only to cause it to gum up and fail later.

There are products designed for freeing up frozen locks and don't contain any products what will cause problems later.

WD-40 should never be used on a lock (at least the part of the lock were you use the key. It can be used for other parts.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Find a can of a spray dry silicone lube and use that. It will leave a dry white powder that will keep the ice from sticking.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

It was Sunny and +8 (46F) yesterday we were playing in the sand box and -7 (19F) and windy today feels like -16C (3F) Shes forzen solid today:>)

I use the autolocks on the car...or dont lock it at all :)

I need something to go on the rubber trim of the car doors, when it rains they freeze solid.

CathyLee

Reply to
CathyLee

I'm afraid I have to respectfully disagree:

: > Nova Scotia, wow. How cold does it get there ? Are you influenced by : > the maritime currents or is it just cold cold ? : : -- : Joseph Meehan : : Dia duit : :

Reply to
Pop

Doors freeeze when moisture on both weatherstripping and door-frame turn to ice. Oil repels moisture, thus reduces the amount of moisture available to freeze doors shut. Food oils e.g. Pam work just as well.

Reply to
Don Phillipson

Also a good product for that use.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The problem is not all of it will evaporate. There are enough heavier oils in there that don't rapidly evaporate to cause problems in locks but attracting dirt. I have seen plenty of locks "fixed" with that stuff to know.

That part is true and is, of course what the "WD" stands for.

True.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You can't stop it completely. First, clean the weather stripping, car and house, with a mild detergent, dry thorougly, and then apply some type of slick-em. You can reduce the problem by just wiping the weatherstrip dry and applying Armor-all or other slick-em, but to be really effective you need to clean the weatherstrip.

I use Armor-All on the rubber strips on the bottoms of my house doors and magnetic weather strips on the sides and top. Same with the car weather stripping. I also use it on the weather stripping of my vinyl windows. I usually make only one application to the house each hear, and more like 2 or 3 times a year for the autos. You can use any silicone product that is ok on rubber and plastic.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

CathyLee, Try some silicone spray or a light coating of vasoline that should do the trick best regards anthony

................................................................ Posted via TITANnews - Uncensored Newsgroups Access >>>> at

g.a.miller