Lighted switches -- any with long-lasting lights?

78$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org...

IME *all* neon lights in switches flicker, but I haven't had one fail completely (yet.) Only have two though, in decorator-style dimmer switches, and that only because I couldn't find any non-lighted ones.

nate

Reply to
N8N

The capacitor will pass pulsating DC if there is a load on it, and it also reduces the need for a 2.5 watt diode. He probably gets by with a

1/4 or 1/2 watt.

I've seen cheap battery chargers with a similar setup, like inside a cordless beard trimmer.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

check out

They carry a series of illuminated switch plates with LED's. Very nice. But, they don't last. I've gotten an average of 2-3 years out of them. But they will replace them on warranty.

mm

Reply to
Michael

messagenews:ici361$t78$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org...

Nate, I believe both the OP and I have neon lights that don't just flicker, they go on and off repeatedly as if they were flashing Morse code signals. Cheap powerstrips are a great source for such bulbs. And I was astonished at what happened when I shined a bright flashlight on the neon bulb as someone at Physicsweb suggested.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I just plug in an LED night light right by the switch. Of course this only helps if there's an outlet by the switch.

Edward

Reply to
Edward Reid

add a small string of LED christmas lights of white or colors, the wattage is so low so you can enjoy the illumination 24 hours a day. or see your commercial grade wall switches at:

buffalobill

Grainger won't sell to the general public. You must be a business or service organization, which I am not. Wish I could buy there.

Bob-tx

Reply to
Bob-tx

I've read that that depends on the particular Grainger outlet and/or on the State in which it is located.

IAC, I looked at the on-line Grainger catalog and saw no illuminated switches that are not also sold by HD (or is it Lowes? I can never remember which of them sells Leviton).

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

On 11/25/2010 9:25 AM Bob-tx spake thus:

Not true.

I had absolutely no problem buying stuff at my local Grainger (Berkeley, CA) even before I signed up for an account under the name of my handyman business.

But if I were looking for "commercial-grade wall switches" I wouldn't go to Grainger but to my local Real Electrical Supply House (which in my case is the Chinese-owned Emperor Electric in Oakland, a great place to buy anything electrical).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I bought something there. It was the only place in town that had the "thing", so off I went. ( being installed by an electrician)

Guy asked if I had an account. I said I wasn't sure, but it's for the government> Gave XZY agency. Nope not an account.....

He sold me the part under the state forestry service account. Every state has one...?

Reply to
Oren

I had a bunch of my brother-in-law's business cards & just had to hand one over to purchase. Was going that way one day and didn't have a card, so I printed up a 'Jim's Handyman Service' card. That was good enough.

They just want to cover their asses so contractors can't complain that they are selling to the general public.

OTOH- I don't think I've been to Grainger's since I discovered McMaster-Carr online. Usually quicker than waiting until I have time to run to the other side of town to Grainger's-- Their prices & inventory are similar.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Agreed, no attitude from McM-C either.

ADI has become a real PITA to purchase from lately as well.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

I found nothing in the Pass & Seymour line (made in China) that was any improvement on the one that I was ready to replace. At HD I found a Leviton (made in the USA) from their "Preferred" series. I think that the original one I had installed was probably a Cooper (from Lowe's, as there was no HD here at that time).

Time will tell.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy