Light Tape - ever used it?

Greetings all:

I saw a message about this stuff on another newsgroup - looks rather nifty. Anybody ever used it?

Wonder where you'd get it in Canada, aside from ordering online?

KD

Reply to
KD

3-M had a plastic lense type product like this ~15 years ago. I was working at a university and we considered using the product for lighting our tunnel system. One bulb could transmit light a long way. From what I remember it was pretty pricey stuff. Basically you built a box with the light transmitting stuff on the surface like a lens and behind it there was a shiny Mylar. I have seem some lighting fixtures use similar methods. The light was enough to exit a building by, no task lighting. It would definitely be cool if you had lots of time on your hands to experiment.
Reply to
SQLit

Notice they dont give lumen rating, light output with an hour rating, After about 1 year it looks much dimmer, It dims from day 1 being extremely dim in 1-2 years and it is expensive, unless their product is now better. Eventualy it may light houses, but now cost and life are issues.

Reply to
m Ransley

Fair enough, once it becomes cost effective, we won't be able to avoid it. As presented, it does have some attractive qualities though the lack of a white light product will prevent it from entering general lighting categories any time soon.

Reply to
PipeDown

The base technology (electroluminescent) is over 40 years old. Highly unlike that there will be some kind of "breakthru" which will make it any more that a novelty.

You are much more likely to "light" your home with flexible tapes that have a zillion LEDs on them.

Note that this year, a lost of the Christmas lights were LEDs.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Notice also that they don't give a price for anything but a sample-pack. That sort of behavior always pisses me off.

Just as irritating as these people:

(WHo for some reason have chosen NOT to produce panels the same size as dropped-ceiling panels)

Reply to
Goedjn