Light bulbs

While I was in Europe I saw these Osram light bulbs. They are much better t han the Chinese garbage sold in the U.S. They are reliable and economical.

Anyone have any idea why they?re not sold here?

Reply to
recyclebinned

because people like krwless think energy conservation is a plot by communists to sap the will of the American public to pay for high energy prices

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

The will of the American consumer to pay high prices for energy will never be sapped!

But...

Several possible reasons. Osram is a European company, and in Europe they use 50 Hz power. It could very well be that they rolled out their European version of these bulbs first, and the North American version is still in development.

Also, in order for any electrical product to be sold in the USA, it has to be UL approved. To be sold in Canada, it has to be CSA approved. It could be that it just takes time to get that approval. Or, if the folks at UL wanted some modifications made to the bulbs to set aside possible safety concerns, it might be taking the manufacturer time to make those changes.

Osram is a well established lighting manufacturer headquartered in Germany, and it purchased Sylvania in 1993. In North America the Osram Sylvania merger sells it's products under the Sylvania name. Osram sells it's products in the rest of the world under it's own name.

'Osram Sylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia'

I really don't see anything very different about these Osram bulbs than the LED, CFL and halogen bulbs available from GE and Phillips, but if Osram is selling them in Europe, you can be reasonably sure that they'll soon start showing up in North America under the Sylvania brand name.

Reply to
nestork

Osram is Sylvania here

Reply to
gfretwell

nothing must be UL approved to be sold in the US, non approved products are sold all of the time. its voluntary...

50 hertz may not matter, lots of products are universal, its more important the voltages match, at least somewhat close
Reply to
bob haller

Is it incognito?

Reply to
micky

While I was in Europe I saw these Osram light bulbs. They are much better than the Chinese garbage sold in the U.S. They are reliable and economical.

Anyone have any idea why they?re not sold here?

*The two electrical supply companies that I mostly deal with are Sylvania distributors. They can get me any product made by Osram Sylvania, however for some items I would need to buy a full case.

There is a tremendous variety of bulbs available for sale by several different manufacturers. Your local retailer mostly sells products that move quickly off the shelves and low pricing is a driving force behind that movement. Companies that stock inventory that doesn't move must pay an inventory tax each year on whatever is on their shelves. This is part of the reason why replacement parts for various things are expensive. Over the years I have witnessed supply houses throwing out brand new merchandise because it was sitting on the shelf for years and they would have to pay tax on the same stuff year after year. I don't think a local retailer wants to bet that consumers are willing to pay a higher price for a superior product when the big box store down the road has a similar product for much less money.

You might try searching online to find a web site that sells what you are after. Many of those sites sell products that ship directly from the manufacturer.

Reply to
John Grabowski

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:78bf5350-5855-4969-8c9f-2cc0248fa1a0 @googlegroups.com:

garbage sold in the U.S. They are reliable and economical.

They are; you just haven't found them yet.

Google "A19 CFL". Sears sells them, and Home Depot and Lowe's sell the GE version. Pretty sure I've seen the Osram/Sylvania bulbs on the shelf at Menards, too, but can't find it on their website.

Reply to
Doug Miller

er than the Chinese

version. Pretty

can't find it on their

That's what I was going to say too. I know I've bought Osram bulbs before. If you google for it, you'll find them being sold online in the USA. Not sure what specific product mix they sell here, and they may not be that common, but there are definitely Osram products sold in the USA.

Reply to
trader4

No that is a bully on the Miami Dolphins team.

Reply to
gfretwell

What he said +1

Reply to
woodchucker

We know that all you can do is lie, Malformed. You don't have to continue to prove that you're a lefty. We got it, long ago.

Reply to
krw

Wrong. There is no such law. Anywhere. UL is a private company and as such it has no special standing in law.

As far as (safety and otherwise) testing labs go, TUV and Intertek (a.k.a. ETL) are large competitors of UL.

Reply to
krw

I've bought Osram bulbs for years and the bulbs may be re-branded as Sylvania now. The frequency of the power supplied to an incandescent matters not as long as the voltage is what the bulb calls for. A bulb in Europe is usually designed for 220 volts. The only problem I've run across with a European bulb with a screw in base similar to a North American Edison base is that the European screw base is metric and may not fit in an American fixture. I ran across this years ago when the contracting company I was working for had some housing units that were built in Australia. The standard Edison base American bulb wouldn't quite fit the Australia light fixtures, the American bulb base was slightly larger than the Australia socket and difficult if not impossible to get the bulb to screw in. I remember that we replaced the light sockets with American manufactured ones. Anyway, you may find any bulb you need at Light Bulb Depot. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

did you get your daily email blast from stormfront.org today?

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

The only thing dumber than IKWYABWAI is a IKWYABWAI lie. It's no surprise that you'd go there. You are a lefty, after all. That's about as stupid as one can get.

Reply to
krw

Anyone have any idea why theyre not sold here?

----

There are more screw-in household light bulb choices than ever before for sale right now including bulbs using incandescent, halogen-incandescent, compact fluorescent and LED technolgoy. Everything on the Osram web site you referenced is available in North America in the same or slightly different form taking into account the difference in mains voltage. Take a look at

it has links to all the major bulb manufacturers including OSRAM SYLVANIA (Look at the list under "Who is Part of LUMEN?" "Sylvania" is a brand of OSRAM SYLVANIA.

It's interesting to see what kind of bulbs that consumers do buy. One of the bulb types growing in popularity right now is the "antique" bulb with a glowing filament. It's much less efficient at generating light than a standard incandescent bulb; but apparently has a look that consumers like. Look at the choices at:

Tomsic

Reply to
=

yes and no. There are more choices, but very few "energy saving" choices that aren't prohibitively expensive that have a CRI significantly over 80. Only one I can think of off the top of my head that's currently available is the Cree "true white" which apparently is only marketed in CA (but you can order it through Home Depot's web portal.) The other obvious choice would have been the Philips L-Prize, but it *was* prohibitively expensive at list price, and was discontinued almost as soon as Philips cashed the prize money apparently. If you were lucky enough to live near a Home Depot that stocked L-Prizes and sold them at a local utility subsidized rate, I hope you bought a few.

I have seen a few LED modules for can lights that also fit the above requirements, but that's only helpful if you actually have/use can lights.

Not hard to understand. The appearance appeals to some people, and they can't help but have better color rendering than any non-incandescent bulb.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

so why do you do that?