Lawnmower gets hot and quits

replying to Sherman, Marc Belanger wrote: The lawn mower is probably losing spark. It will get good spark if it is cold, but once hot, one of 3 things could be happening. First, the spark plug could be filled with crud, and when it is cold, the crud has a lot of non conductive grease in there. This will turn to a liquid when hot and become conductive enough to short out the coil pack and kill the spark. I would replace it if it looks like there is crud between the edge of the steel and the porcelain on the inside of the spark plug. Look between the metal electrode and follow the porcelain where you can't see it anymore.. Yeah, thats the place, either clean it out and get the bl;ack stuff out, eliminating the short and it will probably work again. if not, the spark plug wire may be cracked and work while cold, but once it warms up, the break is separated enough not to work. Same thing with the coil. Or, the coil could be hust loose. It needs a ground to work and if the coil is loose, when cold it may be connected electrically then when it warms up it may disconnect. The coil and spark plug wire are one piece on a tecumseh or briggs and stratton and are less than 25 bucks normally. Get one, screw it on, wire it and rreplace the spark plug. Then, check to be sure the shut off wire isn't shorted to metal anywhere, it it is, the mower will still not start. tape it or reconnect it correctly to fix. The coil is under the crankcase cover. Oh, btw, the coil needs to be mounted the correct distance from the flywheel if you never seen one before. Try to line up or mark the old one before loosening it. Some coild only mount in one location so this may not matter.
On Fri, 24 Jun 2016 20:44:02 +0000, Marc Belanger

Less than 1 chance in 10,000,000 of THAT being the problem. Spark plugs and infewrnal combustion engines don't quite work that way.

Again you are picking at straws - with something perhaps in the nieghborhood of a 1 in 5,000,000 chance.

Now you are gettind somewhere close to the realm of possibility - and even probability. The coils have solid state components in them that can fail from heat and vibration. The FIRST thing to do is remove the shroud and blow all the chaff and weed seeds out of the cooling fins to make sure the engine is cooling..Re assemble the engine - run it 'till it quits, pull the plug wire and hold the end of the wire while someone gives the rope a quick pull. If your eyes don't light up, you KNOW it is a spark problem.

Generally, if the coil is loose it will hit the flywheel and it is more likely to have a problem starting cold than hot.

Why not check that first, and quite possibly save yourself 25 bucks??

And in many cases (all older tecumsehs ) under the flywheel too.

On a Briggs (external mounted coil) a peice of cigarette package cardboard or a business card is "close enough for government work".
Don't people look at the dates of postings?????????????????????????????
On 06/24/2016 02:53 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

Some do, some don't. Why?
On Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 11:38:48 AM UTC-4, Red wrote:

Geeeze,
the guy has been through 2 new mowers and maybe even a new wife by now.
replying to Sherman, mowerboy wrote: My mower was doing the same thing but I fixed it it turned out to be my control cable it was just unnoticeable loose from years of fair wear and tear a new cable fixed my instantly
I hope after 11 years he has gotten it fixed
On 09/13/2016 5:29 PM, snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote:

well, it should have cooled off, anyways...
replying to Sherman, arlonadkinson wrote: Stuck choke! B&S knows but does not fix it. A tiny spring is supposed to keep it in open position but it is too weak if you get dirt on it!
I don't see a problem. I quit when I get hot too.
Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

What kind of hot is that?
--
Tekkie

On 8/19/2017 2:48 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

One makes me stop, the othe type just gets me started!