Lawn Tractors/Mowers

That is called the governor and it is on the engine, not the transmission. The governor keeps the speed of the engine constant. All tractors have engines where the speed is controlled by a governor. The throttle just adjusts the spring on the governor.

Reply to
S. M. Henning

Now if this ain't the biggest bunch of bullshit I have ever heard............Yea right, most folks put it in gear and lug the tractor down, or mow at a snails pace or go to fast because they are just to freaking lazy to select gears as needed. If it only needed one gear why do manufacturers use 4 , 5 or 6 speeds, it wold even save lots of money again in making them and buying them.......... Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Bullshit again dude.....my engine is run at a constant speed, as power erequirements change the flow out of the hydrostatic unit is changed automatically , similar to a auto tranny would use that to shift gear ranges, and only when I get it really loaded down does my engine rpm change. You can even atch the governor linkage it does not move.,..........so now I guess you will tell me its out of adjustment.........Perhpas on a cheap assed Murray or Stanely that may be how they woprk but the Cub Cadets and JD and Kubotas certainly don;t Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

That is what a governor does, it maintains the speed of the engine constant. When there is a heavy load, the constant speed is putting out more power so the engine needs more power. That works the same with a standard transmission or a hydrostatic. No difference.

Reply to
S. M. Henning

You obviously never used a farm tractor. You don't drive a garden tractor like a car. The mower speed is not controlled by the transmission. It is constant. Hence if you go too fast, the mowing quality goes down. If you go too slow it takes too long. You select the gear that does the best job. The other gears are for going fast when you are not mowing like going back to the garage or going slow like when using a snow blower.

Reply to
S. M. Henning

I agree the governor holds the engine at a preset speed, and prevents over reving, but on the hydro I have that motors governor does not fluctuate and the hydro will vary in ouotput all due to its load governed by a pressures senseing valve in the tranny, that automatically adjust hydraulic flow independant of engine speed..........do your homework! Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Why snip out the pertinent part of your reply that stated you only need one gear as thats all thats used anyhow.....that was the point being made.............Just because your in the dark on how a hydrostatic tranny works as compared to mechanical drive trannys and too cheap to have one, why knock em...........There is absolutely no advantage a gear drive in a L & G tractor has over a hydro drive.........hands down its the better , no, BEST way to go.....Has all the power at low speeds as well as high all with just pushing the pedal down...........simple enough for even you to operate......I hope! Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

It is only better if you use it. Many people such as myself can do a job in one gear and wouldn't use the hydromatic lever other than to start and stop. It would be a big waste of money and maintenance time. I would think that a person that thought they were frugal would not advise people to buy something they aren't going to use.

Tractors with front-end loaders and back-hoes are better also, but I don't need one. Tractors with 6 cylinder engines are better, but I don't need one. Tractors with hydromatic transmissions are better, but I don't need one.

Reply to
S. M. Henning

"Do not use cruise control when going down hills. Machine speed will increase."

That means you have to keep your foot on the "forward pedal" like a throttle when going down hills.

With a gear-shift transmission you go up and down hill without touching any levers or pedals. Their speed doesn't increase going down hills. They are much safer.

Reply to
S. M. Henning

Garden tractors 101:

First, all power created on gas garden tractors is created by 2 things:

1) change in elevation such as going up or down hills 2) the gasoline engine

Second, the gasoline engines are designed to operate at constant speeds determined by two things:

1) the governor on the engine 2) the tension the throttle lever applies to the governor-spring.

Third, three things determine the speed of a tractor:

1) the speed of the engine 2) the gear ratio of the transaxle 3) the drive tire diameter

Fourth, there are two types of transaxles:

1) mechanical 2) hydrostatic

Either type of transaxle just ratios of the number of revolutions of the engine to the number of revolutions of the rear wheels, nothing more and nothing less. However, in doing so the torque available to the rear wheels is changed, but all power comes from the engine and the torque is determined by the ratio and not the type of unit. Hydrostatic units have more power loss due to more heat generation.

The advantage of the mechanical is that the ratios are predetermined by the gears and are reproducible.

The advantage of the hydrostatic is that the ratio is infinitely variable.

They hydrostatic usually costs more and is sometimes called automatic, but it isn't automatic. It usually has forward and reverse pedals and usually a cruise lever. The mechanical transmission has a clutch and a shift lever.

People who use automatic transmissions usually like the fact the hydrostatic transaxles don't have a clutch.

Reply to
S. M. Henning

Wrong. My Murray hydrostatic drive will go into a braking mode when I lift my foot off the pedal going downhill.

Reply to
willshak

Then don't use cruise control when going down hills. I don't have cruise control on my hydrostatic tractor and it actually brakes when going down hill, as long as I take my foot off the pedal.

And that would be a means to brake the mower? What about the brake pedal, or is that not mentioned? In a car, the brake pedal will disengage the cruise control, does that not happen with a tractor. I don't have cruise control, so you will have to enlighten me. I'll take your expertise opinion on this.

Did you ever own a hydrostatic tractor, or are you just going by some pre-conceived assumption? After all, as you said, you have a lawn as flat as a billiard table, never have to back up, and use only a single forward gear, so how would you know about hills, braking, and backing up?

Reply to
willshak

Are you saying that John Deere manual does not describe operation of Murray tractors? You are correct. But I doubt that John Deere is wrong, they are talking about their own tractors.

Reply to
S. M. Henning

I'm sorry. I was referring to hydrostatic operation while going downhill. My comment was not about cruise control (which I do not have), but about hydrostatic operation when going downhill. But you would know much better about hydrostatic transmissions and cruise control since you own neither. I deleted that message and composed another, if you would care to comment on that one.

Reply to
willshak

What the hell does cruise control have to do with a hydrostatic being worse or better than a gear model......seems like your grabing staws that are totally irrevelant to the original posts concerning the hydrostatic drives............

And I suppose a manual shift tranny with cruise will not gain any additional speed either.....duh! Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

As does my GX335 as soon as I let off the go pedal it slows and stops...........but just think if you had a manual you cold keep on coasting and save fuel! I sure don;t know where S.M H, gets his info or how he cyphers out what he reads but he needs to put a brighter light bulb in his reading lamp.............and get up to date on hydrostatic drives and garden tractors.

Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

He is just grabbing at straws randomly, and the post is getting so far off its original matter, mainly due to the fact of S.M.H's ignorance in the operation of a hydrostatic, and his wealth of misinformation!

Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

No different than you making a statement to the fact about what little you know or can conceive regarding hydrostatic drives.........Mr. One speed one gear manual clutch flat lander! Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wife, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Methinks that Hemmings knowledge of lawn tractors is limited to those which he owns, as well as as the lawns of which he is familiar with. There can be no other variations.

Reply to
willshak

I know. I'm just letting him dig a bigger hole. At some point, we will never hear from him again, or he will say that it's not so bad down here in the hole, or he will ask for help getting out of the hole. I'm having fun, you?

Reply to
willshak