lawn tractors - hydro drive vs not

I'm in TN on a very steep incline and the hydro is much better than gear drive. Then again my 1970's hydro is probably four times the power of the toys being sold today. As far as how steep my incline is, I should measure it someday, it's pretty friggen steep!

Reply to
Tony Miklos

If you can mow it lengthways, it's not very steep compared to what I mow up and downhill with my hydro.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

Exactly. Going down my very steep grade if I take my foot off the hydro pedal, it's about like putting it into low gear. Just push with my heel a bit and it's stopped.

Reply to
Tony Miklos

The B&S engine has no oil filter. The hydro tranny has no filter either nor does it require oil changes or maintenance since it is sealed. The only regular maintenance has been replacing the plugs, oil, and air filter. It does look like shit, though. Scrapes, dents, cracked plastic body parts, and a torn seat cover held together with duct tape. A new seat would cost around $60 (US) but as I have learned, when you replace a non-essential part just for looks, an expensive essential part will fail shortly thereafter. :-)

Reply to
willshak

So it was the new paint job my 70's Bolens got that caused the starter to bite the dust! It looks nice but it doesn't move so well right now.

Got to get the other older (late 60's) gear drive cousin Bolens I call "Rustbucket" ready with a plow and chains in case we get any snow.

Reply to
Tony Miklos