Lawn Mower

Looking for informed opinions on Troy Bilt lawn mowers. Have the opportunity to purchase a couple of different models on sale. Both are in models with Honda 160cc motors. One is a push the other is a self propelled.

Reply to
don &/or Lucille

I don't know much about Troybuilt, but Honda makes a decent engine.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Check May's issue of Consumer's Report--whole section on lawn mowers. Push mowers: Troy-Bilt TB-110 11A-A23N is listed 3rd out of 19 (Best Buy). Troy-Bilt 11A-B29Q is listed 9th (Recommended). Self propelled models, (Multi-speed) are 9th, 10th, 18th, 21st, 23rd and

24th out of 28. (Single Speed) 10th out of 13. None of the Self propelled have a Best Buy or Recommended notation. I think that Lowes sells this brand. Craftsman models are right up there with Troy-Bilt MLD
Reply to
MLD

Troybilt today is not the troybilt of yesterday. It has been taken over by MTD and cheapened like everything else they make.

Reply to
clare

Troy Bilt is prolly one of the better Chinese brands.

Don't worry about the trade deficit, your grandchildren can pay it off.

Reply to
Sum Ting Wong

I thought Craftsman was made by Troy-Bilt's parent MTD? They should be very similar.

Reply to
Duesenberg

You mean we should buy American? The last John Deere I bought had a Kawasaki engine.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My John Deere has a BS engine but the whole mower/tractor is junk. I want to purchase a MTD with a Honda engine....seems like the best combination.

Reply to
IGot2P

For the best mower buy Honda. Of course that is not US made.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Honda engines sold in America are almost all made in America. Kaws are not as far as I know - but you can't say just by the name where something is made any more.

Reply to
clare

Don't bet on it, Harry. Interesting to observe, NO Honda Lawn Mowers are built in Japan.

From Honda Power's web-site: Honda manufactures approximately 500 thousand lawnmowers per year in the United States, France, Australia, China and Italy*, and supplies them to Australia and other countries in addition to the two largest markets: North America and Europe. Local production began at an early stage, starting in the United States in 1984 and in France in 1986,

Reply to
clare

I do a lot of work on small engines. Mostly Motorcycles and ATV's, but I do get a lot of mowers too. Here's my take........

Whether it is a Briggs engine or a Honda engine doesn't matter if you do the required maintenance and do it properly. If you are the type of person that don't do the maintenence, again, it doesn't matter because ti will blow up anyway. Only you can make that call. Engines when properly maintained, will out live the rest of the mower.

The things that do go wrong with push mowers are mainly wheels and rusted bodys. Bodys need cleaned and wheels need lubed. The thicker the metal is, the longer it will take to rust out ( if that could be a concern).

Push vs sef-propelled......... You're not getting any younger. So if you plan on staying in the house where you are for many years to come, get the self-propelled. You'll thank me later. However, if you plan on moving into a condo in the next couple years, get the push.

Hank

Reply to
Hank

The Kohler Command Pro engine on my Exmark was made in the USA.

Excellent motor too!

Reply to
Harry Johnson

My car is 48% US parts and assembled in the US. Last time I was looking at forklift trucks, I narrowed the choice to the Japanese brand made in the US or the US brand with the Japanese engine.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I turn 64 next month. Most things I buy today will last longer than I will. It's funny how our logic changes as we age. :-)

Hank

Reply to
Hank

Hank, you are RIGHT. I'm a bit younger tho not much and when I hear that some item I'm buying carries a lifetime warrantee, I chuckle inside because I ask myself... my life or theirs? Never did this before so age does bring a different outlook on things.

Reply to
Doug

As others have replied, human propelled is way more reliable. As we age, we need to continue to be active to stay healthy.

Unless you're dealing with multiple acres, keep your feet on the ground and keep pushing that mower. If mowing the lawn tires you out, that's a good sign you need to keep pushing that mower.

66 now.

Sort of fondly remember the days when there were no motors on our mowers.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Interesting. I bought my first one 40 years ago, wore the rubbers off the drive wheels twice, replaced one spark plug and a clutch cable. Still usign it as my trim mower (bought at rider 5 years ago), still starts first pull every time. Of course that is the "good" Honda engine, not the cheapened version you see on non-Honda badged products. That may have been Japanese origin. Dunno if Honda had any production facitlty for mowers here at that time - probably did as Honda bikes were everywhere.

I bought another one back in the late 90s figuring it to replace the origintl "when it wers out". Used it twice and it is now mothballed in the shed.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Ah yes, remember that a tad. When I lived in Queens, NYC, we had a small lawn and we used a push grass cutter (no motor) ... forgot what we called it then. When we lived on LI, NY, we had a gas powered push mower. Fortunately both lawns were on level ground. Can't imagine the fun it would be when it's not level but that would surely burn calories. Thanks for reminding me !!

Reply to
Doug