Jigsaw or Sander?

I've been offered a choice of two gifts for a prize I won at work. A DeWALT Palm Grip Orbital Sander or a Skil Orbital Cut Scrolling Jigsaw. Which one is more useful for a homeowner?

Reply to
Joe

Go with the Jigsaw. You can pickup palm sanders for as cheap as $10. I use them to rough sand not finish sand so a cheapy works for me. Get the jigsaw, you can't pick that up for $10. Lou

Reply to
Lou

They are both useful and very different machines. I'd get the (better brand) DeWalt sander.

Reply to
Phisherman

But some cheap jigsaws are not even worth $10 and will frustrate the hell out of you trying to use them. A good one is a Bosch or Milwaukee, etc, for $150.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I wore out two sanders before I acquired my first jigsaw. That will give you some idea which tool this homeowner needs more frequently.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

sander.

those orbital cut jigsaws are junk.

Reply to
S. Barker

thanks

Reply to
Joe

Joe wrote in news:11a5b743-b192-4005-a0a1- snipped-for-privacy@b1g2000pra.googlegroups.com:

Just hope the 1099 they send you isn't for 5x the retail value.

Reply to
Red Green

You might want to post this question n rec.woodworking.

Lots of good opinion there re: tools, much of it very strongly held. (VBG).

Joe wrote:

Reply to
jJim McLaughlin

I'll take the cash rather than the "gift." I hate the IRS.

Reply to
Phisherman

Phisherman wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You'll still get a 1099.

Reply to
Red Green

How do you know that? Many companies give small gifts with no 1099.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

"Edwin Pawlowski" wrote in news:3cd9j.4384$Vq.3558 @nlpi061.nbdc.sbc.com:

You're right. I don't KNOW it. I've seen it happen many times having done taxes for folks. If company choses not to take deduction then they won't get 1099. I guess I should say be prepared for it that it MAY happen.

Stand corrected.

Reply to
Red Green

Instead, the value of the gift gets tacked onto your W-2 wages. This may not apply if your employer makes or sells tools.

Reply to
Bob

That may be perfectly legal, but I don't want to work for a company that does that to an employee for a $20 gift or prize just so they can get the deduction. Cheap bastards.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

That's ridiculous were talking chump change not new cars

Reply to
Mike

Thanks for the heads up Red, I'll be looking for it. I did win a trip this year and I'm getting crushed on the taxes right now. The company is claiming the full retail value of the trip as as salary this month if they didn't get a volume discount. Is there any way I can fight this?

Reply to
Joe

"Mike" wrote in news:J_-dnbQQ59YqkfvanZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

I know Mike. An even personal example is ex-wifie did a call in to a radio show, you know like 10th caller thing, and won some stupid spa session thing. Got a 1099 the next year for a hundred bucks.

Reply to
Red Green