Is it worth upgrading to High Efficiency furnace?

BC gets the benefits and this subsidizes Albertans? You don't know much about Canadian politics! :-)

More likely, the Albertan subsidies come from oil sales.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

In BC, electricity is now cheaper than gas for heating, especially if you zone heat.

Reply to
Martik

HTH, Vicki

Reply to
Victoria Heisner

Nope, I don't. The treaty is with Canada not BC and not Alberta. How Canada divies up the money is unlikely to be in the treaty.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Yeah I would be amazed, unless that closet is heavily sounded proofed. The tin can took care of the resonance noise. It had no effect and would be expected to have an effect on the burner noise or the blower noise. You are arguing against a point I didn't make; I said the higher efficency one would likely be more noise, not louder, more noisy referring to longer periods of noisy.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Don't need it, but the calculator gave an error and wouldn't work.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

No basement? Our furnace, hot water tank, whatever noise makers are in the basement.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Say again?? It's going to be noisy for longer periods of time? Well how about if the new high efficiency unit produces significantly few decibels, ie is quieter, but runs longer does that mean it's noisier than the old unit that produces quantitatively more noise for a shorter period? I think you're stretching here.

Reply to
Steve Scott

Yes, I've given up in attempting to explain the very clear, very plain fact that about no matter HOW you slice this pie - the *quality* brand high efficient unit when installed *properly* will most likely produce *less* noise than a standard efficiency, worst case scenario would be the *same* noise level/noise duration.

Respectfully giving up on this thread,

- Robert

Reply to
American Mechanical

Don't know, worked fine for me....

Vicki

Reply to
Victoria Heisner

Well if it goes to the feds, it definitely won't benefit the Alberta residents in anything that resembles a gas rebate.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

No basement; wish I had one. All of the newer homes with crawl spaces have the furnace and hot water tank in the garage, but that practice wasn't common here when our house was built.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

How about a bigger house? Does that imply it is taller? Noise isn't one dimensional.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon