Is It Simply A Matter Of Slapping Down Some Sakrete?

A portion of the asphalt driveway slopes slightly into a narrow grass strip (2 ft. wide) that abuts a portion of the house. Considerable water flows down that slope. I want to build a vertical "wall" or curb where the asphalt meets the grass and channel the water away down into a steeper slope away from the house.

Is it simply a matter of building a sakrete wall, maybe 6" high? Will the sakrete adhere to the current asphalt and form a waterproof bond?

Thanx.

Reply to
BroJack

Yes if you use some Elmer's Wood Glue

Reply to
Billy D

Are you planning on putting that curb where there's grass now or standing it on top of the asphalt?

If you're digging out a strip of grass to put the wall there you'll probably find that the asphalt has a pretty grotty edge and you may have to cut it back a bit to get a decent surface to pour the wall against. If you've got the time and patience you can trim the edge of the asphalt with a 3 or 4 inch wide mason's chisel and a hand sledge. Wait for a hot day to do that, the asphalt will be easier to cut then.

Since you're not building a load bearing structure and if you don't don't mind offending the purists here, you could pour the wall right on top of the asphalt. I'd get some pieces of rebar about a foot in length and drive 'em right through the asphalt where the wall will be, maybe every two feet or so, leaving about 4" sticking up for the Sakrete to grab onto. You can figure out how to make wooden forms and keep them in place while the Sakrete cures.

I don't think you need a waterproof seal there, any small crevices will plug up with dirt fast enough and stop all but the tinyest seepage of water through to the lawn.

Good Luck,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

NO, but it redirect enough of the water to accomplish your objective. If you want it to last a long time enrich the mix. Add about 10 lbs of Portland cement to each bag of dry sakcrete mix and mix it a dry as you can pour it.

Reply to
Colbyt

How about using some asphalt patch material, I think its available in bags at Home Depot. Been thinking of doing something similar myself.

oo Mike oo

i think you would do better to dig a ditch than build a wall.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Can you be more specific about this patch material? Is it necessary to pound vertical rebars and have wooden forms? Thanks, Jack

Reply to
BroJack