Is it normal to smell natural gas near water heater?

I presume you're willing to bear the full replacement value and medical expenses, should such occur?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Medical expenses? I never take a trailer to the doctor. Just shoot it and drive on.

Reply to
TimR

You must be from Texas?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Why waste a bullet - all that does is add another hole.

Reply to
clare

+1 claire (snicker)
Reply to
Tekkie®

replying to Daniel, Blauengel wrote: Me too!! I panicked and called the gas company out yesterday and they couldn't find anything with their little machine doohickey but I can still smell it and it's freaking me out!

Reply to
Blauengel

If you smell it, it is there. Get out and get another opinion. 911.

Reply to
Thomas

Natural gas is odorless. The mercapitan smell may persist for a LONG time after, with no trace of natural gas.

Reply to
clare

You have replied to an 11 year old post!

Reply to
philo

replying to philo, Tommy K wrote: this 11 year post is giving me good info

Reply to
Tommy K

I once heard that a single drop of mercaptan used in a football stadium with 80,000 fans can be smelled by all present.

I had a friend using these in plant lab where he worked and a neighbor 2 miles from the plant could smell it and asked if he was using mercaptans in the lab on those days.

You still want to make sure there is no gas leak but it is hard to keep that odor down. Mercaptans can be detected by smell at levels less than

1 part per billion.
Reply to
Frank

The odor must still remain;)

Reply to
Frank

replying to Edwin Pawlowski, Matt.t wrote: Can this residue being "clogged" in one spot or connection become a problem over time? As of now the gas gets to where it has to go. This is on a newly installed gas water heater.

Reply to
Matt.t

Bad connection. Get your local gas company or plumber out there to repair it.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann

This what? You revived a ten year old thread and don't explain what your p roblem is. If you're smelling a slight whiff of gas at a water heater, I w ould mix up some soapy water and apply it at all connections, look for bubb les. If it's more than a slight whiff and/or you don't know what you're doi ng, shut it off and call the installer.

Reply to
trader_4

replying to clare, The Right Answer Always wrote: Remember: you will always smell the rotten egg smell with the igniter is first trying to kick on. That's the gas being deployed so the spark can cause a flame to heat your water. Only when you are not trying to heat your water should you never smell the rotten egg smell. When it's idling it should not smell. When it's active you will definitely smell it.

Reply to
The Right Answer Always

BS. I've had many water heaters and never had one where it was normal to smell gas. The igniter or pilot sets the first gas to come out on fire and if there was any odor it should be going out the exhaust, not into the building. C

Reply to
trader_4

replying to Tommy K, Praaline wrote: Right. Didn’t know there was a problem with new information. People are always searching for answers

Reply to
Praaline

Funny thing is when you ask the person who is complaining about others "reviving" an 11 yo post, as if it's a bad thing when the information is relative, they can't even explain WHY they're complaining or seem to think it's wrong...lol I for one have found MANY a revived old thread with information I found useful in only that particular thread. Beats me

Reply to
Blazeaglory