Is a subfloor absolutely needed before carpeting a basement?

Hi Folks,

I am finishing a basement which has lots of windows and good headroom (8'). The floor is bare concrete which I painted with drylok. The basement has been very dry since I have regraded the land around the house. The only problem is in the full heat and humidity of summer, when the basement windows are open there is a bit of condensation in some spots of the cool concrete floor.

Can I just have a pad and carpeting installed over the concrete? Will the pad & carpet provide a bit of insulation between the cold floor and the warm air to prevent condensation? Is a special carpet pad needed for basement areas?

If I really need to put in a subfloor, has anyone heard or used "dricore"?

Thanks,

-- Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

I'm no carpet or subfloor expert. Are you saying you will use the basement in the summer with windows open ? And, I assume, no dehumid or A/C.

Personally, I think that's a recipe for disaster. Unless you can guarantee low humidity in the space and no condensation under carpet, it is inviting major mold growth.

YMMV

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Have you considered looking for a carpet designed for basement or patio use? You could also just lay it down in a semi permanent way and check it periodically for problems before making a final decision. My carpet is on concrete with no problems 12 feet underground but it is an absolutely dry basement.

Reply to
Art

I was told to tape a 2' x 2' piece of solid plastic to the concrete floor and leave it there for at least 3 days. If there is no moisture present after you remove the plastic you should be okay. My carpet was installed over felt padding which I believe had a moisture barrier on one side. The padding was laid right on top the concrete floor.

Reply to
Tillio

I know nothing about carpet, so I have no opinion. However....

My basement carpet has been on bare concrete for 21 years. A seam is starting to pucker, but I think that is more from when the dishwasher drain clogged and dumped many gallons through the floor than from the way it is installed.

Reply to
Toller