irrigation pump help

I'm looking for advice on an irrigation pump. Our neighborhood well has capacity issues and we would like to use the lake for our drip irrigation system.

Since it's a drip system I only need about 30lbs or so of pressure. It's divided into different segments so there's maybe 100 or so 1 gallon per hour drippers per segment. So my volume requirement is only a few gpm.

The big (to me anyway) problem is that the lake is about 250 feet horizontally and 30 or so feet vertically from where I would have to put the pump. This is because the lake is army corp controlled and used for flood control. Running wire is not an option both because of the flood control and the corp won't let you. I'm guessing I can use check valves to keep the water in the line but I'm not sure how well that works?

So I need a pump that can deal with a long distance and lift from the water source. Any others familiar with pumps and can suggest what I ought to be looking at? Of course money is not unlimited so economical is also a requirement. Thanks all.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

jamesgangnc wrote: ...

Theoretical max suction lift is about 33-ft...ain't a gonna' happen given ...

and not sure you could design it well enough given the losses in that length to get sufficient lift even if weren't.

Reply to
dpb

As DPB mentions ~33 is your max theorictal suction lift.

Water rights & access issues aside.......

possible soltuions (not in any order)

1) drill another well 2) place your new pump at 250' from the lake BUT in a hole, shaft or pit ~ 15' deep.

The problem is a pump needs some net positive suction head (NPSH or NPSHR). Your installation probably will need a foot valve (check valve at lake inlet)

research pumps in your capaictiy range & find one that requires the least NPSH. The lower your NPSHR is, the shallower your pit can be.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

That was my thought too. If the Corps manages that lake, they own the water. You need a permit to take it. The fine can get up into 5 figures. As for "sucking" water up 30 feet, it aint gonna happen. You might be able to run 2 pipes and use a jet head. I would not do anything until I got the permit from ACOE.

Reply to
gfretwell

PS

If you understand the reference that DPB provided, you've got all the info you need.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

You'll need a jet pump, with the jet near or in the water. This required two pipes to the water - one for the water coming up, and one for the water powering the jet from the pump.

Reply to
Bob F

Sounds like the jet pump solution is the only one that would work because of the distance. That means two pieces of pipe so the cost goes up.

I'd ask the corp before I do anything. It's just a 1/4 acre residential lot so I'm thinking they shouldn't have any issue. I'm not using it for commercial purposes.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

You might try looking for floater pumps. Most use electric motors. I've seen pictures of pumps with IC engines. Fuel supply and noise might be issues.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

I'll guess you won't like their answer.

Reply to
Bob F

That may be but it's worth asking since a well would be a couple grand minimum. I think I have heard of it being done before.

Reply to
jamesgangnc