Insulation: Air vs. fibreglass, styrofoam, etc.

You read the markings on the back of it. Geez.

By the way, I've never seen a piece of tin roofing that one couldn't knock a hole into with a fire axe, which shoots down another of your assertions.

Reply to
J. Clarke

that...errr...covered as

I have seen a lot with no markings. There are non on my garage roof, or shop roof. There are none on the dog kennel either. I never saw any on the new metal that I was looking at, to replace the garage roof. Geez.

Go ahead and walk across metal hot enough to melt the bottoms your boots, while hoping it doesn't collapse from your weight, and tell me about it. I know you'll tell me that I'm wrong, but I've seen too many collapse early in a fire.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Why would you say that? They're tons more durable than asphalt shingle, which is about my least favorite roofing material, and yet is the most common.

I had no problems getting insurance on my last place which had metal on both the house and the garage.

nate

Reply to
N8N

You have a layer of plywood or other lumber under the shingles. Most metal roofs don't. You can't even walk on some of them without causing leaks, or like when my 300+ lb neighbor stepped on the roof of my storage building, he almost went through. I told him it wouldn't hold him, but he ignored me and caused several hundred dollars damage that he wouldn't pay to repair.

Were you in the middle of a forest?

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

If they were put on by Snuffy Smith. Now the problem begins to become clear--your buddy couldn't get insurance on his not-to-code crappily installed metal roof and you conclude that it was because it was metal and not because it wasn't installed to code.

You seem to be conflating V-groove sheet metal panels with a steel structural roof. They are not the same. Either, properly installed, meets code and is insurable. However trying to use v-groove sheet metal panels as a structural roof does not. They are required to have structural decking under them.

Must make them difficult to install.

Oh, NOW we get to it. You don't know how to construct a building so it's the fault of the materials.

He could have sued you into poverty.

Why would that make a difference?

Reply to
J. Clarke

And that is the reason that polyurethane foam is a good insulator. Not the size of the bubbles.

Dan

Reply to
dcaster

It's both. After three years or so, much of the HCFC in polyurethane foam diffuses out of the foam and is replaced by air. Typical board-type polyurethane insulating foam loses a couple of points of R-value in the process, from, say, R-9/inch to R-7/inch. Obviously, the speed with which this happens depends on the thickness of the foam, its closed-cell integrity, etc. But those are typical values.

But R-7 is still very high, and it's the result of the material at that point, and its structure.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I see fires here on tv. I usually see fire coming out the roof, last place a fireman would go.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I would be Leary in salt regions.

I got a metal roof on a large shed. Pretty much what under it controls flex.

I used to live across from Americas first fallout shelter home. It was built extra good along with basement shelter. It had a metal roof. Cost 50% more than regular home. I was recently contemplating if the roof was grounded. There was a chimney mounted tv antenna. The lead in down to the basement started a fire there. Seems like the roof might have bypassed the strike.

The fire damaged some drawings for a HBO cartoon. Had to be redone. One at a time.

Greg

Reply to
gregz