Installing electrical subpanel

I would like to have 60A subpanle service wired for the basement.

Basement is unfinished and I would like to wire it prior to framing...

I am thinking of moving sumppump, creating new feed for sewrage pump, service for new full bath, maybe move power for gas furnace to the basement panel, plus 20 HALO lights in the future basement. ( Total

1700 sq ft)

My background is EE. So 110s and 240s, 360s don't phase me.

I have question about wiring.

0) My plan move some feeds from main to sub, install 60A double pole breaker, run 2-2-4 to the pre-framed sub. 1) Do I run alu triplex like 2-2-4, or do I need quad? (Split neutra & ground buses). 2) I was thinking of 60A service but now not sure if I should go with 100A. 3) When "fishing" am I required to take all drywall off and put metal plates. 4) On vertical run to the panel how can I secure ( attach 2-2-4s) to the studs ?

This is more of a learning project...

Reply to
Brian

Yea gotta run 4 wires onna sub.

Might just as well....not much money to be saved, and you'll have much more room to work with inside the box.

If your planning on getting it inspected--then best to call your local permitting authority on this one.

I would just use cable staples, a couple 2x4...placed sideways, one above and another below the box between the wall studs works quite nicely for this...

I would probly just use a 100A panel...and probly a 60 or 70 amp breaker to feed it from the main panel, with the feeder wire being sufficiently sized to suit a 70 amp load.

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

Please explain the 360's unless your talking about circles.

Reply to
SQLit

4 wire, split neutral/ground, don't put in the neutral bonding screw/jumper and buy the supplimental ground bus.

Not a bad idea. A 100a panel is not much more. Run 3 insulated #2s plus a min #8 ground.

No you can fish without opening the wall.

No same as above. You only have to strap it where exposed while you are running it.

If you get a permit and act nice the inspector will help you ... usually, but bear in mind he does about 20-40 a day so try to know what you are doing before you ask too many questions.

Reply to
gfretwell

US: Single phase 110.

2 phases - 240s Europe: Single phase 220 2 phases - 360s
Reply to
Brian

Sounds right

Reply to