Install Tile over plywood - how Do I?

I am remodeling my bathroom in my 100 year old house. I removed the old tile and degraded particle board sub-floor that was installed by the last homeowner. (Can't believe it lasted over 25 years)

I have installed 1/2" plywood over the existing 3/4" flooring. I would like to pour a thin layer of self-leveling cement, because the entire floor is tilting to one side.

How can I do this? I have purchased metal lathe and the cement. Should I install a membrane under the cement? What do I use to fasten the lathe? Is there a better way to do this?

I am not using cement board because it would raise the floor greater than I would like, and cause problems with my steam radiator.

Thank you, answers are greatly appreciated.

Reply to
Vinnie Boombotts

Return the metal lath and cement it is going to be thicker than cement board. (You do know you can get 1/4" thick cement board). If floor is less than 1/2" off than just apply more thinset to the low side and feather to nothing when installing the cement board. If less than 1" mix up some floor leveler. You mix it thin and just pour it on, it flows level. It sets up quick, than do the above step when installing the cement board.

Reply to
calhoun

And you've done this, right?

Reply to
G Henslee

Reply to
calhoun

Thank you for the advice. The floor is off almost 1".

I am using 1/2 cement board for the lowest side and mesh and floor-leveler for the high side. The do not sell 1/4 board at my Home Depot. I can use leveler from the base of the tub and feather to the cement board. The mesh is a little over 1/8" high.

Thanx aga> calhoun wrote:

Reply to
Vinnie Boombotts