inline duct fan or vent cover fan to improve 2nd floor AC?

I don't get much air pressure on our 2nd floor, so it seems the cold air stays around the floor area.

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

I hear they make inline duct fans and vent covers that have fans built-in. I wonder how hard it is to get power to an inline duct fan?

Thanks

Reply to
MDO

The best way to adjust the air flow would be to install dampers. If the duct system has a separate trunk line for the 1st and 2nd floor install dampers as close to the furnace as possible and adjust the flow as required for heating and cooling. If the distribution system doesn't lend itself to proper damper placement try running the fan 24/7 to get some help with your common problem. Constant fan operation in some cases helps in other it makes little difference, you are the judge. Duct boosters will not likely give much relief.

Reply to
Sonic

Sinic is correct. Making the best use of what you have is where you should start. If that can't be done, you would likely be better served by having a good professional come out and see that is wrong with the air handling system. It could have been designed for heat only, undersized for A/C, partly blocked, etc. Only after finding out what the problem can you fix the problem.

As for your question, try a vent cover fan. You will waste a lot less effort and money on it before you move on and find out what the real problem is.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thank you for the advice. However, I don't have separate trunk lines, unfortunately. The installer said something about a "zone" system; which I assume would be like a system of dampers that would shut off air at the closest possible point to the trunk. I've closed all the vent covers in the basement and first floor, and still is pretty hot.

I will try a fan.

I'm curious if anyone's had any luck with "zone" system or inline duct fans of some kind.

Thanks again.

Reply to
MDO

Shut off too much and it will really end up hot. The A/C requires a minimal amount of air flow or it can freeze up.

I would be interested in what the installer said about zones.

BTW what speed is the fan on when the A/C is operating?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

A zoned system is just a motorized damper system with a thermostat to open and close dampers. Zone systems start with a properly designed duct system that are designed for zone use. If a installer suggested zoning you should in fact have separate trunks feeding the different levels of your home. Few design plans would not have such a division although it could. Get a second option to be sure. A well designed zoned add on will include a bypass, dampers, thermostats and cost several thousands of dollars. Some systems I have seen did not use a bypass and led to systems failures.

Closing vents has done little good in most systems I've seen and can lead to frozen evaporator coils in some cases when the outdoor temperature is moderate.

Reply to
Sonic