Incredible problem (on two fronts)

Hello all

I have a next door neighbor with whom I am very friendly, and we watch each others' houses in the event the other is out of town. (Her more so than I, for she is a buyer for a hotel chain and travelles frequently)

On to the problem. This young lady has scads of cats, to be specific, 6 of them. Last night I was eating my supper in front of the tele and when I was done, I scooped the remains into the garbage disposal, fully intending to grind it up at a later time.

While I was using the facilities a few moments later, I heard the most godawful sound from the kitchen followed by a small herd of cats thundering down the hall and under her bed to hide.

I went in the kitchen, expecting to find the paper towel holder knocked over or something. Instead, the source of the noise is a young tabby head first into the disposal, quite dead, and kind of bouncing around. I have not been able to bring myself to pull the little bloke's body out yet. The toggle switch for the disposal is on the side of the faucet, and as best I can tell, the little one poked it's head past the little rubber triangles that cover the disposal opening looking for my food. Another cat must have stepped on the switch and activated it, which makes sense, as the 'on' setting is in the downward position. So obviously I turned it off posthaste.

In any event, I am going to have to remove this kitten and clean this disposal out. Electrical things are quite alien to me, and I want to know what steps I should take to avoid being shocked or cut by this device. Should I leave it intact and pour bleach in it? Should I run more food through it? Does it even require cleaning? I do not know what to do with the body of the cat, but that is another issue. I have not yet decided whether or not to tell her it ran away or bury it and just tell her it died sleeping.

But I am afraid if I do not clean the disposal thoroughly and remove all traces of the kitten, if it ever were to break, the eventual repairman would take note of the cat hair and suddenly I would be the friendly next door limey cat murderer. So I must clean it.

What tools should I borrow to use for this and how to get it done with the least amount of trouble and danger? Please respond soon, as she is due back this evening and I have a great deal of work to do.

God Bless Al Kyder

Reply to
holyalkyder

So, why were you eating dinner in her house? Or, why were the cats in your house? If the cats were in your house for some reason, how do you know they ran under her bed?

Gotcha! (it was a good story, though) The disposal switch installed upside down is kind of unlikely also, but certainly not impossible.

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Outside the US there are many countries where the standard for light switches is "down on, up off".

Tim.

Reply to
shoppa

That makes sense if you are below the equator. Everything else there is upside down, too.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

The cat might not be dead. I'd suggest putting another in, and turning the disposal on to test if this is lethal or not. Actually, you might need to test the theory 6 or 7 times, just to be sure.

Reply to
Matt