Increasing flow on well

I have a well that is producing approximately 5gpm and the pump is at approximately 200' with 20' of water above. It is a 12" well. This well is heavily silted and a large column of fine rust particals rises if the bottom of the well is disturbed. The well was drilled in 1967. I am considering having the well cleaned. Does anybody have any information about the best way to perform this task? The well is steel sleaved. Second question. I have heard that it is possible with heavily silted wells to increase production by throwing a quantity of dry ice into the well and temporarily capping it thereby reversing the flow of wagter temporarily back into the aquifer and cleaning the heavy silt on the walls and the screen. Has anyone tried this? Thanks for any help.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

To clean a well, you need to go down to the bottom while wearing diving gear and breathing apparatus. Take along a scrub brush. some ajax, and an underwater shop vac. Scrub in the usual manner.

To increase the flow, find a really fat woman with a big mouth. Take her down there with you, (be sure she in UNDER you, or you might die). When she is at the very bottom (after you finish cleaning), tell her to blow real hard while slapping her legs together real fast and hard. The action between her legs will force the water upward in huge volume.

Reply to
lightyears

"Steve" wrote

You could have someone bail it, which is done to get the sediment out. They could also use air but possibly there's not enough water in the well for air lifting it out. Well drillers or folks that clean wells do this. I really don't think this is a DIYer thingy, or something to use unproven methods on that can seriously damage the well or get someone hurt.

Gary Quality Water Associates

Gary Slusser's Bulletin Board

Gary Slusser

Is bailing even a viable option given the depth and diameter of the well?

Reply to
Steve

"Steve" wrote

I wouldn't have mentioned it if it weren't. Two hundred feet when speaking of wells is not a long distance. They will have to have a pump derrick truck or drilling rig. The truck is best. They are pickup types and made to do just this type thing. Now the diameter will possibly call for a larger bailer than used for 4-6" wells, but possibly just take longer to clean the sediment off the bottom with the smaller bailer.