In-window A/C Unit and Current Draw

If you had the ability to read, you would have noticed that the warning applies to the wholesaler and retailer, not the purchaser.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

They have to as other lawyers enjoy sueing companies.

One would think that the person buying common products should have enough sense to use them properly, but that is not the case.

Forgot what product it was I bought a month a go. There were 4 pages of warnings and cautions and about 2 paragraphs about how to use it. It might have been a garden sprayer.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I know; I was simply poking fun at Clare, who clearly is not aware that indoor, window air conditioners can safely be used with a proper extension cord.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

The loss in the connection between the unit and the cord is generally a lot higher tnan in 10 feet of the cord, and the contacts in the cord are almost NEVER as good as the contacts in even the cheapest outlet receptacle.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

That's because there isn't room to fit all these words...

"Do not use an extension cord unless the extension cord is of sufficient gauge to prevent a voltage drop of greater than X volts over the length of the extension cord and is run in such a manner as to not be a tripping hazard. Oh yeah - don't run it under a rug, on a staircase, under or over a door, over a bed, or in any other manner that a reasonably intelligent person would consider unsafe. Oh, f*ck it. Don't use an extension cord. Period."

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

It didn't always specify who the warning applied to...

Marilyn Manson

I have a cord with connections equal or better than the cord on the AC I used it on. You have to shop for the best.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

+1

The problems with all extension cords comes when you misuse them, eg way too long and low gauge for the load, run under carpets, run where people will trip over them, used with a three prong converter and no ground, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

They have labels on pillows and mattresses, warning not to remove the label too. I suppose you think that means you can't do that either or something bad will happen.

Reply to
trader_4

Yes, I'd not remove them. A friend took the tag off his mattress and pillow and his girlfriend got pregnant on that bed. Too risky for me.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Right. I stopped reading it after the first couple times, and, darn, they never sent me an email when it changed.

Reply to
micky

I'm sure he's quite aware of that.

However, the vast, vast majority of people who use air conditioners don't have a clue what voltage and current means, hence the very logical warning on the devices.

Those who do have a clue will do the right thing, as will those who don't (who follow the warning label, which is perhaps giving those who don't understand electricity too much credit).

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

The warning is not aimed at you. It's aimed at the vast majority of consumers who couldn't tell you what the voltage at the outlet is, or even explain what voltage _is_.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I am not. I do not understand why you do. He clearly stated "NEVER run AC on an extention cord."

Reply to
RosemontCrest

Seems that ever sense the woman burn herself with hot coffee at Mc Donalds that there must be warnings on everything for the dumbest person on earth. Even then if they miss one simple warning they stand a chance of getting sued.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The word is spelled "since". The verb is "burned".

McDonalds is a single word.

So, you expect everyone on earth to know everything about everything?

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I like the warning on the screen of my Toyota Tacoma. It shows a warning for a few seconds after I start the pickup. The warning says it's dangerous to look at the screen while driving.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Welcome to my killfile.

Welcome to my killfile.

Welcome to my killfile.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

Why would you put someone in your killfile 3 times?

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

I didn?t.

Reply to