I defeated a modern gas can.

Visiting my sister today, and looked at her "modern" ECO gas can. Tried using it, and gas spilled out of the threaded attachment cap. Removed the spout and thought, this is nuts, the rubber seal is between the screw on threaded part and the spout, instead of between the spout and the can. Started to remove the seak, and realized it had a groove in the middle of the inside edge of the seal. Carefully slipped the seal onto the end of the spout, so that the seal covered both sides of the spout lip. Now, no leaking at all. Twist the spout lock ring, put the spout in the tank, until the oressure hook catches on the edge of the tank hole, push down, and the gas goes easily into the tank, without a drop spilled. Pretty neat, if only they came assembled properly from thw factory.

Bob F

Oy. I'm not throwing away any of my gas cans until I die.

Reply to
micky

if only the "spout lock things" that you have to twist and push would work after a few months of use or nonuse. I have several for which I have to take off the spout and use a funnel. Talk about unintended consequences.

Reply to
Pico Rico

Here's a company (never bought stuff from them yet) that sells their so called "EZ-POUR" spouts. Concept looks pretty good, but a little pricey. And, I love the face that if you live in one of several states where their product is illegal, you can buy a "water jug spout". Cracked me up! Anyone have any experience with this company?

Art Todesco

Or:

tom

Yup, never, ever buy something from the manufacturer's site ... much cheaper at other places.

Reply to
Art Todesco

Likewise. I have four 5 gal cans all HAD that new fangled safety filling nozzle. After spilling it all the time as well as it leaking, I finally remove the spouts and internals leaving just the screw on cap with the large hole in the top center. I then took some regular plastic caps from something else and epoxied them upside down onto the top of the orgiinal safety caps. Once hardened they are liquid tight and screw on and seal as they should. How I transfer the liquid is use a battery powered pump from the gas can into what ever I'm filling (car, generator, snowblower, etc).

I agree they should offer the option of regular caps.

Reply to
BobMCT

I have a "new-fangled" filler spout that I bought at Lowe's because one of my 2-gallon cans was missing the little yellow cap that came with it originally. I don't see this kind at Lowe's any more: it has a black plastic slider that has to be pushed in while the tip of it is resting on the edge of the tank opening. I do see an occasional very slight "weeping" around that slider while I am pouring, but nothing that I would call spilling or leaking.

Even a battery-powered pump can produce a spark that could ignite the gasoline.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

sing it, and gas spilled out of the threaded attachment cap. Removed the sp out and thought, this is nuts, the rubber seal is between the screw on thre aded part and the spout, instead of between the spout and the can. Started to remove the seak, and realized it had a groove in the middle of the insid e edge of the seal. Carefully slipped the seal onto the end of the spout, s o that the seal covered both sides of the spout lip. Now, no leaking at all . Twist the spout lock ring, put the spout in the tank, until the oressure hook catches on the edge of the tank hole, push down, and the gas goes easi ly into the tank, without a drop spilled. Pretty neat, if only they came as sembled properly from thw factory.

I totally failed with mine. There is a spring hanging out of the side of th e spout. The last time I needed to pour gas, I took the spout off and dumpe d the gas into a tupperware container. What a mess.

Reply to
Thomas