HVAC thermostats work in parallel?

My bedroom temperature varies too much compared to the rest of the house. It's colder in the winter and hotter in the summer. The thermostat for that part of the house is on the other side of the living room next to the guest bedrooms. Playing with the vents hasn't helped.

I can move the thermostat, but that might screw up temperatures in the other bedrooms. One of them is used as an office. How about hooking up an additional thermostat in parallel with the one in the hall? Would that get me the benefit I'm looking for, or would I just wind up with a different problems?

Reply to
Steve

Hi, Simple answer, No.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Different problems. If too cold in your bedroom, the heater would kick on and make the temperature elsewhere too hot. Likewise for cooling.

Trivial: Is there sufficient return air space from the bedroom to the rest of the house (sometimes a carpet can block the space under the door).

Easy: Consider shutting off the furnace and using a space heater for the bedroom at night.

Harder: Rework the duct system to furnish more air to the bedroom.

Reply to
HeyBub

Sounds like a small fan would ease the difference with the least hassle.

Reply to
beecrofter

Or get a thermostat with a remote sensor. The OP probably doesn't care if the otherside of the living room is poorly regulated at night. Move the sensor into the BR at night and return it to the LR during the day?

Reply to
AZ Nomad

The only way you can use two or more t-stats is with 1.a zoned heat system.With electronic dampers and expensive zoning control.2.a seperate unit. I recommend Bubs idea of checking the duct that goes to the room and the return.The old flex duct that they used to make was junk.It had a sprung coil inside that was run through it and not attached.So they collapse.If the duct isn't collaped and their is no damper in the takeoff, them you should probably dampen the other rooms (expecially the short runs) so that its even.

Reply to
Country

Hi, Another quicky is replacing current 'stat with wireless one. Then OP'er can move around 'stat room to room.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You can also try a duct booster.They help a little bit with bringing air to far rooms.

Reply to
Country