HVAC questions welcomed at alt.hvac

"alt.hvac is changing for the good. All questions home owner or pro or DIY welcomed"

I posted a question there - and promptly got told by an AH that consumers did not belong on that site. Several people jumped on his greasy back.

I had a specific question - see below

Question posted on alt hvac Am in planning stage of building a new home in S WI. Have talked to several HVAC dealers - learned tube type HX are much more reliable than

clamshells - I suppose most agree with that.

Now are there differences between tube type HX's from manufacturer to manufacturer. Most of the internal parts look very similiar - like PC's - umpteen brands with very few manufacturer's of the basic parts.

Are there differences in types of HX tubes - if so which brand(s) are better and why.

Responses seemed to indicate that there are differences in HX tube design. Amen on the biggest priority being getting a system correctly designed and installed. Now back to the question - which manufacturer makes a better HX tube or on the flip side - whose should be avoided. They all looked the same to me - there are some differences.

Thanks all

Thanks

Reply to
butch burton

Still whinnin because no one will talk to you or give out free answers? Still cant find any friends Nexy? Get your furnace filter changed for $100 by a tech because you were too stupid to change it yourself? Things kinda suck to be you, eh? Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Don't know which specific model/manufacturer is better, but it would be reflected in the overall reliability of the model. Newer models use different designs and materials (stainless, "Tufsteel", etc.), so the reliability may vary year to year. As a homeowner, I don't think you need be concerned about this aspect, and instead concentrate on a good installer and warranty.

Reply to
Nexus7

Good idea. You'll notice there are more and more positive post and over the last few months is finally drowning out the few bad troll's that was posted in the kill file.

Thier flames are going un noticed and resulting in better qualtiy group.

Reply to
Larry F.

There's a difference between good, useful information and useless information. Comparing things like a computer or a car, where everything is identical, is fine - there will still be regional variations, but relatively small. It just doesn't work that way in construction. The labor and material prices vary so widely from place to place, even in the same state, that the numbers become pretty much meaningless to someone from a different area.

RicodJour