HVAC condensate drainage

The condensate dripping from the inside unit goes half into the pan as it should, but another half blows away with the air flow, hits the plenum walls and drips down missing the pan making a mess on the bottom of the furnace.

It looks like too much air flow or too much condensate but nothing changed recently.

Any ideas?

Reply to
mc

We need to know the make and model of the air handler or furnace. If this is a carrier air handler it could be a sign of a problem with the refrigerant charge.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Reply to
hvactech2

This is Turtle.

To get a ideal here Do as hvactech2 said and give the info to get a look at it.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

If the coil surface is clogged, the water can be blown out of the drain pan. But as others have suggested, more info needed. Larry

Reply to
lp13-30

In alt.home.repair on Wed, 20 Jul 2005 16:09:39 -0400 "mc" posted:

Wow, you know all that? Do you know if it blows off the pan, or straight from the condensor?

I can only tell you about my AC, a Carrier unit that worked fine the first few years, maybe a total of 20 or 40 days.

One year I found the water on the floor whenever I used the AC, leaking out from inside the furnace. I cut a hole and looked inside and didn't see anything special except the water level in the pan was high. I cut off the drain, looked for spiderwebs inside, etc. Saw nothing. Ran water from a garden hose through it, while I watched the other end. Nothing was flushed out, afaict, but the water ran just fine as if there were no obstruction. Put it back, worked no better.

Finally, I rearranged the plastic drain. Even though all my neigbors, afaik, have the same furnace/AC and the drain the same way and they didn't have this problem. The drain came out an inch, went down nine inches, then went horizontally to the wall, down to the floor, along the wall to near the sump pump, and out 2 feet to the sump pump, where the outlet was open to the air.

I made it so that after it came out an inch, it dropped four feet, then over to the wall and down to the floor, etc.

Problem solved.

I'm surprised it worked, but I didn't know what else to do.

Meirman

-- If emailing, please let me know whether or not you are posting the same letter. Change domain to erols.com, if necessary.

Reply to
meirman

There should be a water trap on the drain line to prevent the plenum suction from blowing water & air inside.

Reply to
Nick Hull