Hurricane Wilma

Hollow wrote:a question i have is why is it in america most homes are constructed out of timber ?? why not bricks and mortar i know it wouldnt stop the flooding or power loss etc but surely a lot less homes would be destroyed ??

Cheaper that way. Tom

Reply to
tom

Real masonry construction takes more money, more time, and more skill.

Reply to
Goedjn

I'm thinking that unless they raise the ground level in New Orleans, like they did in Chicago, that NO can rebuild using houseboats as homes. Just anchor them on site, float when the next flood comes. Looks good on paper :o)

Reply to
Norminn

Loose? There were many structures loosened by the storm. Did youR lose YOUR dictionary, or are you simply an illiterate troll?

Reply to
PanHandler

snipped-for-privacy@spam.invalid (hollow) wrote in news:vKt8f.143108$ snipped-for-privacy@fe03.news.easynews.com:

even homes made of brick or concrete block still have roofs made with lumber,and they still get ripped off the walls unless built to *current* building codes. (or the windows or garage door fails,allowing a pressure differential to lift the roof) I note that in last year's Florida hurricanes,it was found that newer "manufactured homes" generally survived while earlier ones did not.

And not even concrete block homes can withstand storm surges.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Goedjn wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Since Florida has the termite problem,most new homes are concrete block with rebar reinforcement and "hurricane straps" for the roofs.Wood is still used for second floors,and roof trusses and sheathing,though.

Then there are "manufactured homes",or "double-wides"(trailer homes,essentially),made with wood stud construction.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

That has changed. Insulating concrete forms (ICFs) make it simple, cost effective, and save a bundle on energy. About 4% of new construction is done that way.

If I ever build, this is the way I'd do it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

There may be a liberal/conservative issue here, but that it not it.

Conservatives are deep into attacking the messenger. Unpatriotic and godless are two of their common false attacks and there are lots more.

mm

Remember the conservatives like Bill and Hillary who said that GWB would starve old people, and cut off school lunches? Yep, conservatives like that. Always on the attack. Heck, Conservative Schumer was just....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Bill and Hillary are conservatives? Tom

Reply to
tom

Stormin' Mormon wrote:Remember the conservatives like Bill and Hillary who said that GWB would starve old people>snip Unless I heard you wrongly. Tom

Reply to
tom

I will start behaving and stop posting political stuff in ahr if someone will explain the meaning of conservative and liberal so I can understand the terms. I've been called liberal lots of times, but mainly because I don't do bush worship and actually thought Bill and Hill had some good ideas (and the intelligence to make them work). Please! Help me understand :o)

Bill and Hill had a good grasp of what is wrong with Medicare, which the average joe does not understand. I don't want any transplants, a million-dollar hospital stay so I can breathe my last breath with assistance from the latest machine, or access to pills that cost $100/per. I keep insisting that there is as much, if not more, money spent to deny medical treatment as there is to give it. Stupid, wasteful and very liberal/conservative :o)

Reply to
Norminn

Find out where you stand for yourself. Take the test.

badgolferman

One poster suggested that gas stations in hurricane areas should be required to have emergency generators. Actually, this is not a bad suggestion.

Along with that, instead of waiting for FEMA to make their clumsy behind schedule deliveries, why not pre-position the relief supplies in each community to begin with. Surely there is a shelter or hardened warehouse in most communities that can handle such things. To make ice, all you need a generator, an ice-making machine, and a large supply of freshwater

It is just plain stupid to have two mile lines in every community, after every hurricane hit, to pick up water, ice, and get some gas for the car. These are all commodities that can be made easily available, and except for the gas, do not have to be trucked in after-the-event.

Also, the codes should specifiy that the electrical distribution be underground whenever possible. This won't eliminate all damage, but it will keep the repair crews concentrated on the transmission, feeders, and substations.

I'm sure that there are many more ideas... Someones got to get organized and implement these before the next hurricane hits.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

Even that should not be needed for a few days after the storm. It is so simple to fill bottles with water a few days ahead of time. If you use the

2 liter soda bottles there is no cost involved aside from losing the 5¢ deposit. Not everyone can afford a generator but if one neighbor has a portable, it can be moved around from house to house to run a refrigerator for a couple of hours to cool it down.

Just as stupid was the line to get propane gas. Most homeowners have a grill and spare tank. They had ample time to get them filled days ahead. Not to do so is stupidity on their part.

- Ed

Edwin Pawlowski

"> It is just plain stupid to have two mile lines in every community,

And here you have the two different views of the world. The conservatives see this as an issue of personal responsibility. The vast majority of those waiting in gas or water lines and bitching are there because of their own actions and stupidity. The liberals see this as one more thing government should fix to make the world perfect by spending more money. FEMA and relief angencies already start moving supplies and staging in anticipation of hurricanes. But now you're suggesting that the govt stage relief supplies locally all over where? The Gulf coast? Florida? Inalnd Georgia? Louisiananana, Mississippi? The whole east coast? Maintain them permanently? Another expansion of government, because some people are two stupid to fill up their gas tanks and a dozen jugs with water.

Reply to
trader4

Sure. There are two kinds of conservatives: economic and social, but only one kind of liberal. That said, in the economic vein:

Conservatives strive to promote the general welfare through the economy; liberals strive to provide for the general welfare through the government.

In the main, conservatives support equal opportunity, liberals support equal outcome.

Conservatives tend to help people get what they deserve, liberals tend to believe people get either much more or much less than they deserve.

Liberals tend to be more visceral, subjective, and emotional than conservatives. You seldom hear a conservative use words like "hate," "loathe," "despise," and other invectives when describing the persons or policies of the opposition.

That's certainly true of government-managed health care. There's a big debate raging in Canada over whether privately-funded health care should be available, even for those who want to pay for it! Interestingly, there are more MRI machines in Seattle than there are in ALL of Canada. One CAN get a free abortion in Canada; the waiting time is only eleven months.

Reply to
HeyBub

  1. You don't put your soldiers under the bombing target, you don't stockpile supplies where they'll get flooded or blown away.
  2. Your idea is logistically impossible, even for one city. Consider my town, Houston. 4 million people, 600 square miles, one destructive hurricane every twenty years. Do the math.

Yes, and some ideas even get implemented such as easy conversion to contraflow lanes on Florida highways. Here's one good idea:

I just recently learned that in my town, Houston, the city set up semi-secret shelters, in advance, exclusively for the families of first-responders (fire, police, paramedics, etc.). These city employees could then concentrate on their assigned tasks rather than worrying about their loved ones.

Reply to
HeyBub

not snipped-for-privacy@xxx.yyy (Beachcomber) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@newsgroups.comcast.net:

Many of these hard-hit communities LOST their fresh water supplies. Trees get uprooted,and take out the water mains,the pumps to pressurize the system need electric power.Or storm surge and flooding contaminate the FW supplies.

People should have them BEFOREHAND.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Looking specifically at Houston and the Rita aftermath, it seems that there was a lot of propaganda over just how much evacuation was needed. Unlike New Orleans, Houston is above sea level, not directly on the ocean and has many big strong concrete buildings that could be used as shelters. The disorganization and bad decisions not to make the highways counterflow from the start speak for themselves. Unless your living in a trailer park or a particularly vulnerable home on the coast, it seemed to make more sense to stay close to your property in this particular instance. The goverment is going to attempt to scare everyone into leaving regardless, as just about every hurricane strike causes a certain amount of death and property damage. The goverment is more concerned about being blamed for this instead of a genuine concern for the residents.

Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber