HUMIDIFIER WICK

I use a 2 gallon ( room ) humidifier in the winter months.

My water has a high mineral content, and the wick clogs up in 4 > 5 weeks.

Replacement wicks are pricey, especially over a winter season.

Can anyone suggest a way of de-mineralizing the wick ? I was thinking of using CLR, or even soaking it in a can of vinegar.

It's a tube-shaped wick, about 8" diam., 8" high.

???

Reply to
Anonymous

I tried vinegar on one once & it dissolved the entire thing.

Ranking right up there with my compressor in the 'slap-myself-in-the-forehead-and-ask-why-I-didn't-do-it-years-ago' is my Aprilaire humidifier. If you have forced air heat, then do yourself a favor and get one.

$160- a fairly easy install- and only touch it once a year to change the filter. It adds as much as .0.7 gallons of water an hour to every room that has a heat duct.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

If your wick has no metal parts, CLR should work OK. If there are metal parts, then something less vigorous is called for, like oxalic acid, a component of common auto radiator flush compounds.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

use r/o or distalled water.

Reply to
charlie

Fooling with those wicks, regardless of the cost, gets very old after a while. I finally switched to a vaporizing humidifier, and it's *much* more convenient IMO.

Reply to
ShadowTek

When the wick is good, how long does it take to evaporate 2 gallons?

More below.

Hey, that's what it says all right, "Has an evaporation capacity of

0.70 gallons per hour"

And look at those people freaking out because I want to boil water and add a gallon of water in 4 hours once a day.

When the furnace won't heat the house enough for some reason.

I hope they read this thread.

Thanks for posting.

Reply to
mm

He's right about the Aprilaire. I used to install furnaces. They are excellent.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You can get some more life out of your wicks by dumping out all the water once a week, and gently rinse the wick under the faucet.

Distilled water has less minerals. But, pricey.

Some humidifiers use a pump and sprayer, to make a mist (I think? I'm probably wrong.) I used to use a trigger spray bottle to make humidity. Fill with hot water, and spray near the ceiling.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I like ultrasonic humidifiers, I used one in a machine I built for a printing ink supplier and I have one I used at home. I put it up somewhere and can't find it now. I have an earlier version of this Sunbeam product.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

-snip-

I just remembered another reason I like my Aprilaire. Lack of sitting water to breed bacteria in.

The additive that you put in that kills bacteria is also often a water softener/de-mineralizer.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht