Humidifier

I've looked a lot of furnace mounted humidifiers and have settled on an Aprilaire Model 700 powered unit. I'm installing one now. My only concern is whether it will supply enough water vapor, but I haven't found a larger unit. I went through last winter without a humidifier and won't do that again.

Boden

Brad Bruce wrote:

Reply to
boden

As an alternative, caulk the house.

Nick

Reply to
nicksanspam

I'm moving into a new (to me) home in a few weeks. The humidifier on the FHA heater is disconnected (unplugged and water tubing disconnected). Ideas whether I'm better off fixing it or removing and patching the hole in the ductwork.

It's at the bottom of the steps, so if it won't help me, I'd like to avoid the "head knocker".

Thanks Brad

Reply to
Brad Bruce

My experience with furnace mounted humidifiers is limited, but most that I've seen don't work. I'd remove it and buy a room type. OTOH, there may be a brand out there that will hold up over time and the HVAC guys will recommend one.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Aprilaire. The one with the flow through design, and a drain. Plumb it to a hot water pipe. And a drain. Yep, I'm a HVAC guy.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I'd see if you can get a HVAC guy out to install an Aprilaire. My boss and I have installed a bunch of htem.

Though, as Mr. P suggested, a floor model portable is cheaper. The floor model, you have to fill with a jug or bucket every day. And clean it out in the spring.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi, I have a spray type which comes on with furnace fan. Has been working over 10 years. I have two nozzles. When one clogs up, I replace it with clean one. Soak the clogged one in CLR and it's ready on stand-by. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Aprilair powered unit here too. Been running strong for about 6 years now, no problems and if you're installing one, that's what I highly recommend!

Reply to
trader4

In your dreams, Stormy. The only way you learn HVAC is by listening to the real techs.

Reply to
HeatMan

Do you air conditioning on that furnace? Have you ever looked at the rust inside your plenum?

Reply to
HeatMan

Since the home had one, I am going to guess that it is going to be dry without one.

Many of them don't last long. They are just not designed to keep going. People get fed up with them not working so they just disconnect them and live with the dry air.

An exception to poor design is the Aprilair line. They cost more than most, but they also work well and last a lot longer. I am sure there are other good models and brands, but most everyone agrees with that Aprilair is the best of the lot.

BTW that is what I bought. It has helped keep the piano in tune and reduce my discomfort and all those static shocks.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote in news:1129040620.759501.59750 @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

I'm going to 1. See if the D... thing works. then 2. If not. Try to live without it then 3. If I can't do without it Aprilaire here I come.

Brad

Reply to
Brad Bruce