Hum Sound in House

When I moved into my house my water meter made a intermittent squeaking noise when there was a draw. The meter was changed and the problem fixed.

Mike :)

Reply to
Michael

Eric, After reading your response, I phoned the gas company. They sent a person out to the house who checked the gas meter (it was OK), and at my request, checked my fairly new furnace. Said the furnace was working fine and not causing the hum. Was told the hum sounded electrical. Haven't been able to pin point it yet. Al

Reply to
Albert Roth

So have you turned off each breaker at a time or not?

Reply to
Larry Bud

Reply to
Harlen Ng

replying to norminn, Tbu62 wrote: I have the same thing in 2 different homes. A very subtle 60 Hertz hum that drives me crazy. It's noticeable everywhere inside both houses. I strongly suspect the structures are resonating the vibrations from the surrounding electrical grid. (why not, flowing energy creates resonance in the wires and pipes)....

Reply to
Tbu62

Houses hum because they don't know the words.

Reply to
micky

There have been mysterious hums of unknown origin at many places in the USA over the years. TAOS, NM or Kokomo, Indiana are two of them. About 15 years ago, I heard it here in NJ and it's been reported in other nearby towns too. Best described as like a very faint rumble similar to an idling diesel. When I first heard it, I thought it was in the house. I turned off the main breaker, finally concluded it was coming from something outside the house. Sometimes it can be heard outside, but it generally is more noticeable or only inside a structure. It's mostly heard at night too, rather than the day.

What it is, whether everyone that hears it is hearing the same thing, no one knows. If you google for taos hum, kokomo hum, the hum, etc you'll find info. Here I heard it off and on for several years, but then it went away and I have not heard it again in probably 10 years.

Reply to
trader_4

Any correlation with furnace activity?

I've heard some irritating sounds from a high-efficiency furnace.

Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

or cfl or flourescent lamps? Turn off the main braler and see if it goes away. If not it is e3xternal resonance from something.

Reply to
clare

The "most distinctive" hum in my house is caused by the sump pump (centered under the house). It's annoying-ness is somewhat counterbalanced by the fact that I know that its working. ; )

Reply to
Bill

Surely something that important must have a warning light etc in the house?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Check door bell transformer

Reply to
Meanie

I had this with a toilet. Every time I flushed, I would get the hum which lasted about 30 seconds. How long does your hum last?

Reply to
Arnie Goetchius

We have a seasonal spring on our property too, but it is in the unfinished part of our basement (where it is dirt). Fortunately, we've never had any water damage from it, as I've installed a French drain and battery-backed sump pump.

There's also a sewer drain in the low spot of the basement, which now functions as an overflow if the sump were to fail. Belt and suspenders.

[couple of groups snecked]
Reply to
vallor

thats so gay

Reply to
&

You must have glossed over the part where I said I had that. :)

Reply to
vallor

You need transformers and motors usually, current. Sure it's 60 Hz. I get occasional pressure oscillations down around 15 Hz. My doors will shake. Turn off th breaker. Large buildings vibrate at 60 Hz.

Reply to
gregz