Hum Sound in House

I'm getting a low volume hum in my house. It comes and goes. It's not loud, but it is annoying. When it is humming, I can hear it all over the house. I can also hear it in my attached unheated garage. My wife can hear it also. I have been unable to pin point the source. Anyone ever experience this? Any ideas what it can be? Al
Hard to pin down.... I've had 2 hums in the house. One was an electric base board heater- not very loud, the other (much louder- the whole house vibrated) was a bad valve on the toilet filler- made ALL the pipes in the house hum around 60 to 100 hertz. It went into sort of a "self oscillation" like a tuba.
Other things to think of- sump/well pumps, air flow over chimneys (like a big pipe organ), neighbor disposing of bodies in a wood chipper........

Any correlation with furnace activity?
I've heard some irritating sounds from a high-efficiency furnace.
--
Pete Cresswell

or cfl or flourescent lamps? Turn off the main braler and see if it goes away. If not it is e3xternal resonance from something.
(PeteCresswell) wrote:

The "most distinctive" hum in my house is caused by the sump pump (centered under the house). It's annoying-ness is somewhat counterbalanced by the fact that I know that its working. ; )

Surely something that important must have a warning light etc in the house?
--
An expert is someone who takes a subject you understand and makes it sound confusing.

On 2/19/2017 2:45 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

Check door bell transformer
Meanie wrote:

I had this with a toilet. Every time I flushed, I would get the hum which lasted about 30 seconds. How long does your hum last?
Albert Roth wrote:

I lived in a house, about a mile from a factory, where I could hear noise transmitted through the ground (I guess), but only when I was lying in bed. 'Spose I could have heard it with my ear to the floor but never tried that. Don't know what device in the house could be heard all over the house - is it audible at all hours, or possibly just certain days or hours? Got any factories nearby? Audible outdoors? Is the fridge shoved up against the wall or a pipe so it transmits sound to structure?
Check the exhaust fan in the attic.
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 18:14:26 GMT, " snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net"

Door bell transformer with loose laminations???
Remove TIE to reply.
replying to norminn, Tbu62 wrote: I have the same thing in 2 different homes. A very subtle 60 Hertz hum that drives me crazy. It's noticeable everywhere inside both houses. I strongly suspect the structures are resonating the vibrations from the surrounding electrical grid. (why not, flowing energy creates resonance in the wires and pipes)....
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 18 Feb 2017 16:14:05 GMT, Tbu62

Houses hum because they don't know the words.
On Saturday, February 18, 2017 at 11:14:08 AM UTC-5, Tbu62 wrote:

There have been mysterious hums of unknown origin at many places in the USA over the years. TAOS, NM or Kokomo, Indiana are two of them. About 15 years ago, I heard it here in NJ and it's been reported in other nearby towns too. Best described as like a very faint rumble similar to an idling diesel. When I first heard it, I thought it was in the house. I turned off the main breaker, finally concluded it was coming from something outside the house. Sometimes it can be heard outside, but it generally is more noticeable or only inside a structure. It's mostly heard at night too, rather than the day.
What it is, whether everyone that hears it is hearing the same thing, no one knows. If you google for taos hum, kokomo hum, the hum, etc you'll find info. Here I heard it off and on for several years, but then it went away and I have not heard it again in probably 10 years.
On Sun, 19 Feb 2017 19:04:59 -0800, Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:

We have a seasonal spring on our property too, but it is in the unfinished part of our basement (where it is dirt). Fortunately, we've never had any water damage from it, as I've installed a French drain and battery-backed sump pump.
There's also a sewer drain in the low spot of the basement, which now functions as an overflow if the sump were to fail. Belt and suspenders.
[couple of groups snecked]
--
-v

On 02/20/2017 02:49 PM, vallor wrote:

thats so gay
On Mon, 20 Feb 2017 12:00:29 -0800, Checkmate, DoW #1 wrote:

You must have glossed over the part where I said I had that. :)
--
-v

You need transformers and motors usually, current. Sure it's 60 Hz. I get occasional pressure oscillations down around 15 Hz. My doors will shake. Turn off th breaker. Large buildings vibrate at 60 Hz.
Albert Roth wrote:

My furnace is in the attic and sometimes I consider its noise a low-level hum.
Refrigerator, freezer?