How to smooth a rough glass edges into a sparkling smooth surface.

No, it's a literal description of running over the cut edge of a piece of acrylic with a propane torch. It takes some finesse, but does work, though not in this case where a very flat surface is required.

Ned Simmons

Reply to
Ned Simmons

Plexiglas does get flame polished - I have done it in school. 1/4" thick glass bead finish 8" circle. Something of a plastic window that wasn't clear. Often the circles would have a melted spot - the touch between limp and char is on a fast angle IIRC - rapid change and a quick eye to extract in time.

I think polish - slow and cool is the best way. Martin Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

mike1942f wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

And through the whole thread, nobody has mentioned that you have to be very careful what kind of "oil" you would use on the edges of a cut acrylic or polycarbonate panel to make the join 'disappear'. Or all your work can get destroyed rather easily.

Petroleum oils and several solvents can have very nasty effects with plastics. Craze the whole sheet with stress cracks...

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman