How to remove multiple hornets/wasps nests from attic...

... without getting stung multiple times, that is? Can someone direct me to a do-it-yourself FAQ in this topic? (I have a notion that this common home-owner problem probably gets asked about and answered on a regular basis.) Thanks.

With best regards, Ken Moiarty. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca

Reply to
Ken Moiarty

First: If the nests are big, (larger than a softball), go get a professional! Dont mess with big bees nests, you'll be sorry. Trust me on this one... Next: If the nests are small then I'd go get a few cans of fogger type bee killer. Open the trap door (or the pull down stairs) very early on a cool morning, be carefull and quiet (ie no vibration) and set about 4 of em on a floor joist, punch each ones "start tab" and quickly close the door. Next day, about the same time, go back up and check. If all seems well, hit each nest with the long distance stream foam type bee killer. Leave it for at least a day, then you can **probably** take the nests down, Eric

Reply to
Eric

Reply to
Phisherman

As mentioned, if the nests are big and plentiful, you should consider a pro. If not, you have to hit them when it's cool. When it's warm the hornets are out and about -- when it's cool, they're typically at the nest and move slow.

I haven't used a fogger-in-a-can, but the spray I'd recommend is TAT. You can get it at MAB or Sherwin-Williams [I forget which], or Google it and try to find a retail outlet. It's the one spray that's truly a one shot kill.

Reply to
Hopkins

... without getting stung multiple times, that is? Can someone direct me to a do-it-yourself FAQ in this topic? (I have a notion that this common home-owner problem probably gets asked about and answered on a regular basis.) Thanks.

With best regards, Ken Moiarty. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca

Reply to
Ken Moiarty

It's not that complicated. Get a can of wasp spray (I like foaming-type, but others don't care). Wait until dark. Go out with a flashlight and the can. Light on! Spray with gusto! Light off! Walk (don't run, they take running away as a sign of guilt) quietly away.

If this is not end-of-story, call a professional and gladly write the check.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

This time of year, the nests -should- be empty. The queens are just starting their brood. You should be hanging wasps traps up there now to trap them. Also the common paper wasps do not re-use a nest. Most of what you are seeing should be empty for that reason. I use the long distance spray cans that I can spray from at least 15 ft away. Have done it in the middle of a warm day with no problem but that was outside.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

The nests are very small. When I noticed them there were a handful of wasps on and nearby busily (apparently) in process of constructing them. Both nests ("both" that is, if I don't find others when finally I make the effort to search the rest of the attic) can only be accessed from inside the attic. The attic itself can only be accessed and exited through a ceiling hatch inside a tiny closet (unless you're a wasp, of course), and this hatch is much less than 15 feet away from the two nests. Can't see myself spraying these guys from any kind of 'safe distance' here... An image of myself reflexively hopping as fast as I can away from the nests and past my tiny exit hatch, my eventual escape further aggravated by the need to step only on the rafters to avoid crashing through the ceiling-drywall between, in a panicked bid to escape my frenzied attackers, comes to mind. Maybe I'll hire a pro afterall .

BTW, I'm in Vancouver, Canada. Maybe what you're saying about "this time of year the nests should be empty" applies to elsewhere on the continent?

Ken

Harry wrote on 2 Jun 2005 06:09:04 -0700:

HK> Ken Moiarty wrote: ??>> ... without getting stung multiple times, that is? Can someone direct ??>> me to a do-it-yourself FAQ in this topic? (I have a notion that this ??>> common home-owner problem probably gets asked about and answered on a ??>> regular basis.) Thanks. With best regards, Ken Moiarty. E-mail: ??>> snipped-for-privacy@shaw.ca

HK> This time of year, the nests -should- be empty. The queens are just HK> starting their brood. You should be hanging wasps traps up there now to HK> trap them. Also the common paper wasps do not re-use a nest. Most of HK> what you are seeing should be empty for that reason. I use the long HK> distance spray cans that I can spray from at least 15 ft away. Have HK> done it in the middle of a warm day with no problem but that was HK> outside.

Reply to
Ken Moiarty

Before I hired a pro, I think I'd toss a couple of foggers up there at night and slam the door behind you. See how they like that, the little bastards!

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I had a yellow jacket nest under the front concrete landing that nothing could reach and they had too many alternative escape routes. I (live alone) was quite happy to let them be but the postman left a note that my mail would be stopped if I didn't remove them. My final solution was to use a badminton racquet to swat them. Best fun I ever had. Good workout. Ecologicall friendly and didn't cost a cent. I could cut them into half in mid-flight and they didn't even know what hit them. Therefore none I hit could send any warning signals to their nestmates. Over three days I must have killed enough to starve out the nest.

Reply to
PaPaPeng

Badminton raquet, eh? I'll be sure to keep one handy when the time comes.

Ken

PaPaPeng wrote on Fri, 03 Jun 2005 07:58:08 GMT:

I had a yellow jacket nest under the front concrete landing that nothing could reach and they had too many alternative escape routes. I (live alone) was quite happy to let them be but the postman left a note that my mail would be stopped if I didn't remove them. My final solution was to use a badminton racquet to swat them. Best fun I ever had. Good workout. Ecologicall friendly and didn't cost a cent. I could cut them into half in mid-flight and they didn't even know what hit them. Therefore none I hit could send any warning signals to their nestmates. Over three days I must have killed enough to starve out the nest.

Reply to
Ken Moiarty

Now that sounds like an idea! But could you describe a little more for me as to what a "fogger" is exactly and/or where I should be able to buy one? Thanks.

Ken

Mortimer wrote on Fri, 03 Jun 2005 04:34:11 GMT:

MSR> Before I hired a pro, I think I'd toss a couple of foggers up there at MSR> night and slam the door behind you. See how they like that, the MSR> little bastards!

Reply to
Ken Moiarty

Back in the days when I had a cat, late summer would become uncomfortable due to all the fleas in the carpet. I'd nuke them with foggers that you should be able to buy at the grocery store or any home improvement store. All a fogger is is a spray can that once activated, doesn't stop spraying until it's empty. You'd put a sheet of newspaper on the carpet, place the activated fogger on the paper and vacate the premises for a couple of hours. When you got back, air the room out. With fleas, you'd wait a week or so and repeat to get the eggs that hatched after you nuked but before they reproduced again. Two treatments would take care of the infestation until the following year.

In your case, you wouldn't need to place paper or air anything out. I would think flea spray would work just fine against wasps in an enclosed area like an attic. An insect is an insect... they all breath the same. I'd go ahead and toss all three cans in; I doubt anything will survive.

It should cost roughly $10 US for a three pack. Look for 3 cans of "flea spray" packaged in a box. There well may be dedicated foggers just for wasps... ask at the home center. If not, try the flea spray.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

After you do away with the little devils, hang "no pest strips" in the attic and replace as required. they wont come back.

Reply to
jim bosworth

In your previous you say you have active ones working. I guess the season is farther along than I thought. Anyway, the fogger. Any grocery store will have them. Cans about the size of 16oz beer cans, pop top per instructions and -leave- instantly. You should be able to set off two while standing in the hatch. Do NOT breath the fog. I did once (one breath to get out of the basement) and my sinuses ran like a river for an hour. Once cleared of live ones, try to block anyway for them to get in. Probably hopeless as they can get through very small holes/cracks.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I've heard of folks using a shopvac with a long hose. (Length of PVC pipe taped to the end of the wand?). The problem is when you finish, you have a shopvac full of wasps. Maybe then vacuum some automobile exhaust and sedate them that way?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon