How to remove hardened grease from side of a pot?

What's the best substance for enabling one to remove baked-on grease from the side of a pot? It has picked it up from sitting on the stovetop for years of cooking beside it (I have little space).

409 or its equivalent has not worked. How about WD40? Vinegar? Any ideas?
Reply to
tariq.1.rahim

How about just using some spray on oven cleaner like EZ-Off?

IIRC it's basically lye.

Wear rubber gloves if you start scrubbing the stuff, it'll start burning your skin pretty quickly.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Oven cleaner. Read the instructions, use it outdoors if it's the stinky kind.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

What kind of pot? I've had good results getting the worst crud with a razor blade scraper, then 3M pad with full-strength Dawn.

Reply to
Norminn

Put the pot in a 5 gallon plastic bucket. Pour ammonia into the inside of the pot, and/or fill the 5 gallon bucket to the high burnt on grease of the exterior. Let it sit in there for a day. If it's outside in this hot weather, it's even better. It should just rub off with a plastic scrubbie after that.

I also use that method for barbeque grills. I put them inside of two sealed up, and doubled up plastic trash bags. Pour in the ammonia, and put it out on the patio for a day. They clean up easily and without hard physical labor.

Myrl Jeffcoat

myrl_jeffcoat

Nothing but ammonia? No water?

Reply to
tariq.1.rahim

Hoooold on. What is the pot made of? Stainless Steel? Aluminum? Cast Iron? Anodized Aluminum?

Reply to
yellowbirddog

Why dilute it?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I use no water with that!

Reply to
myrl_jeffcoat

But caution is required...

The OP didn't identify the material used to make the pot. Lye (the major component of oven cleaner) is quite reactive with aluminum and will destroy it.

Reply to
George

An interesting thing to watch, no doubt!

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

George news:HsednXDFgp9CtwHZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.com:

Hmmm... I use baking soda on a lot of things with a lot of success. Perhaps baking soda and hot water will at least get some of it off then use the oven cleaner?

Michael

Reply to
Michael "Dog3" Lonergan

First try: E Z Off-Fume Free. Leave it about an hour and wash. Second try: Amonia up to covering the spots-in a plastic bag; close bag and leave for 24 hours.(do this outside). Clean as usual. Scrubbing with Brillo or some such will scratch the hell out of the pan. If that doesn't work-consider how much a new pan costs. It't probably worth it.

Reply to
Kswck

Depending on what the pot is made of, try Dawn Power Dissolver or whatever it's called. Read the label to make sure it won't harm the pot.

Donna

Reply to
D.Currie

I bought a commercial product - I think it was "Goo Gone" - from the Ace hardware store - it's a product not unlike paint remover - I used it very successfully on the enamel outside of a non-stick electric frypan. I wore disposable gloves, though ;-) If I find the name is different, I'll post again, but I think that was it. It should be safe for most any non-painted outside of a pot - but test it in a small area. Or read the warnings.

N.

Reply to
Nancy2

My ex's grandmother used that method for the oven - (not a self-cleaning one) - put a big bowl of ammonia in the oven and let it sit overnight - wipe off the crud. I never had very good results doing it, but she did.

N.

Reply to
Nancy2

Caution is required, but that doesn't mean one can't successfully use oven cleaner (the lye type) on aluminum. It depends how long one leaves the oven cleaner on the pot, and how much one is concerned with a pristine appearance on the pot. When I say "pristine", I mean how much the baked on grease bothers one compared to the slight degrading of the aluminum surface.

I've used the Easy Off extra strong stuff on a big aluminum pot I used for deep frying turkeys. The pot has a lot of burned on grease after doing that. One can see a definite reaction of the oven cleaner on the aluminum, but relative to the thickness of the pot, it would take a long, long time to eat through it. A half hour is not going to cause a big problem. It will however change the appearance of the aluminum, giving it a dull finish of a different shade (darker or lighter I don't remember).

I wouldn't use oven cleaner on any of the anodized aluminum finishes though, as it would eat through the relatively thin anodizing quite quickly and make the surface very splotchy in appearance.

Reply to
wff_ng_7

It's *already* diluted if you buy it at the grocery store. Undiluted ammonia is an industrial product and fairly dangerous to handle.

D.

Reply to
Derek Lyons

Right, but you know what I meant: Why dilute it any further?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Angle grinder with wire wheel (4.5") at 10,000 rpm. It will take a minute or two, but the baked-on stuff will fly right off (do this outside). For the remaining grease, some dish soap should make it squeaky clean. Might have a few scratches in the surface if it's not stainless or cast iron.

Reply to
IBM5081