How to lubricate Aluminum windows?

Silicone is the way to go but you need to use more. Best way to do that is use silicone paste. It is commonly sold as dielectric grease or "spark plug boot grease" in an auto parts store.

Reply to
George

Oooo, icky, that stuff gets all over everything it comes in contact with. o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Don't you think that the chemical makeup of the soap could corrode the aluminum? o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

That stick was probably "saw wax". o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

I've seen dieelectric grease at Adavance Auto, cheaper than some other places.

.

Silicone is the way to go but you need to use more. Best way to do that is use silicone paste. It is commonly sold as dielectric grease or "spark plug boot grease" in an auto parts store.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I get good results lubing stuff like that with a light coat of wax.

Just ball up some wax paper and rub down all the sliding surfaces.

If you have a corrosion problem... you may be on your own.

The wax paper also works well on double hung wood windows, and other large bearing surface area, light load applications that need to remain clean. (Use common sense, good judgment far as getting splinters...)

Erik

Reply to
Erik

gregz wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.o rg:

WD-40 is mostly dewaxed kerosene,at least 60%. varnish of that sort can be gummy,before it hardens.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Before the OP cleans off the evidence, he should look for spots that are shinier than others. That would be a good indication of warping of the frame and what areas need attention.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I use the white votive candles that you get in the supermarket. So far, so good. Things slide but don't get all gooed up like some spray lubricants do. I use the same candles to rub on screws to make them easier to screw in.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

ors$q3j$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me...

Great! thanks for the suggestion, got those candles around for power outage emergencies. Should have remembered, wax on the old wooden drawers. With all those metal channels forgot about wood on wood.

I used to use soap for wood screws, went in slick, over time STAYED the soap dried and those screws stayed in.

Reply to
Robert Macy

a ha! nothing like a little corrosion to rough up the surface.

Reply to
Robert Macy

How bout using soap?

Reply to
zyhe2004

Soap for clening the track and rub it with candle stick. Then open/close window few times.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Or silicone lubricant

Reply to
clare

Watch Uncle Monster reccomend saw wax. Hard to get into cracks, but works nicely, would you say, UM?

I've had good results with spray silicone.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon