How should we insulate attics in Central Texas?

My office room in my house here in Austin gets pretty hot during the day, and will be getting hotter and hotter as we get into SuperSummer, Austin's third distinct season (Wet Season, Summer, SuperSummer, Summer again). On each side of this office is unfinished crawl space. The floor of these spaces are insulated, as well as where finished walls meet them. The roof is not.

The home was built in 1978 in a 2-story ranch style. It is oriented north-south, and the south side--unfortunately--doesn't have much tree cover. I am wondering if I should do a little something in the attic/ crawl spaces I have touching the roof.

I was thinking of an IR foil barrier as well as more conventional insulation--perhaps sheets. I have thought about using both, but it's my understanding that IR barriers work best with some space.

Any advice on the insulation alternatives?

Reply to
Adam Preble

closed cell foam is the highest R value R7 or so per inch.......

it costs more but will show savings over time

be certain your attic is well ventilated!

Reply to
hallerb