How Much Concrete Can A Pickup Carry? (2023 Update)

You can beg all you want, the fact is that a so called "1/2 ton" truck can carry a whole lot more than 1000 lbs and all you have to do is look at the payload ratings for the truck to see that. The nomenclature of

1/2, 3/4 etc etc is a throwback to very early years of trucks. It has nothing to do with payload capacities today. s
Reply to
Steve Barker

It doesn't mean anything. The only place the word is used is in laymens conversations. It's not mentioned in mfgr's literature.

Reply to
Steve Barker

One day when you are bored, fill it with gas and two people, one driver, one passenger, and take it to the local truck stop and have it weighed. Lots of them will do it free. Get that weight stub. Now, look at your door plate for GCVWR, or gross combined vehicle weight rating, which is the total weight for the truck and everything you can put in it before it breaks. That, for future reference is the MAXIMUM amount the truck can carry. It is always good to do just 75% of that.

HTH

Steve

visit my blog at

watch for the book

Reply to
Steve B

"The Post Quartermaster" wrote

The cost to make two trips will be a lot

Well, then, fifteen trips should be VERY safe.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Don't you just hate that?!

Reply to
Oren

At one time it did mean 1/2 ton, but that was a long time ago. Now it is just a marketing word. Sort of like "dialing" a number on a phone, we now "press" numbers, yet still call it dialing. (FYI - For you young whipper snappers, phones at one time had a dial on them as well as a wire connecting them to the wall.)

Trucks have all sorts of options you can order. Different transmissions, axles, springs, wheels, etc. Here is a list of GM options for example...

For large cities and "vanity" trucks people drive around in without a scratch, no one ever uses these to haul anything, so they frequently have the lowest weight ratings. But in a rural area where they are using the trucks for hauling anything and everything, they want hauling capacity and that is what the dealers order and have on the lots.

Reply to
Bill

Go to a truck lot and look at the labels on the drivers door on the various trucks...

I used to have a 81 Ford F-100 "1/2 ton" pick-up which had a cargo weight rating of 800 lbs - label on the driver's door...

I now have a "3/4 ton" pick-up which has a weight rating of 1900 lbs (label on the door). I have this truck because I got tired of replacing the rear bearings on the "1/2 ton" truck...

Reply to
Bill

Or put it directly over the rear axle.

Reply to
Tony

About a half a ton of bull and a whole ton of shit.

Reply to
Tony

Wow, thanks everyone for all the great posts. I even got some good chuckles.

My problem has been solved, thanks to Dear Dad.

This morning he had the air in the tires checked, filled the truck up with gas, and brought home 15 sixty-pound bags of concrete. Then he said, "Here you go, it is a gift". He got it in town, one mile from home, whereas I was going to go to Ziggy's where I have to go tomorrow night to pick up the rest of the vinyl gate/fence material. My plan was to fill the truck up with gas on my way home. I will still use the truck for the rest of the material, but I owe my parents a very nice dinner in the near future.

My parents are the best, and everyone here is too.

Many thanks.

Kate

I was pl

Reply to
Kate

Kate wrote in news:i1lpsi$8r2$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

He gave you the pickup? No, guess not huh... :-)

Reply to
Red Green

Oh. You're in marketing.

Reply to
krw

FWIW, I had an old Chevy 3/4 ton pickup and I used to carry about 2000 to 3000 pounds in it fairly regularly. I put 4600# in it once, but the steering got kind of squirrely (brakes were still fine; it had huge brakes.) The actual limit is usually the tires. With a 3/4 ton truck, if you do overload it and break an axle they are easy to replace and you don't even have to unload the truck. With a 1/2 ton truck, if you break an axle you are in deep doo-doo.

Your little truck probably should handle 1000 pounds just fine if you air the tires up to the maximum pressure that's stamped on the sidewalls, but I can't really say because I can't see your tires from here.

Put heavy loads towards the front of the cab so the front tires share some of the weight. That also keeps them from shifting if you have to slam on the brakes.

Buy your dad a nice steak dinner. :-)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Won't stop them from fully extending though. A heavy load makes LONG rebounds.

Reply to
clare

Definitely NOT the proper way to load a truck close to the limit.

Reply to
clare

Pop hauled 2 tons of firewood on his F150 several times without incident - but once, with the tires at the "recommended" pressure, and on a bit of a side-hill in slightly soft ground, he rolled all 4 tires off the rim at once. - and called ME to get him out of his fix. Jacked it up with a HandiMan jack, removed the wheels and re-inflated them to

50PSI, put them back on, and away he went.

He had a Toyota "heavy Half" that almost always had over a ton and a half on it for 6 years - and my old man has a heavy foot too. One wheel bearing failure in those 6 years. It had a "barn" on the back made of 1/2 inch plywood, and was always loaded to the gills with rolls of copper wire and other electrical supplies, and several heavy duty ladders on the roof.

Reply to
clare

Yes you are right. But it does reduce sway a lot. I was thinking of the reason they put the 5th wheel hitch over the rear axle. But that is a whole other story. My bad.

Reply to
Tony

They put the fifth wheel over the axle because putting it forward of the axle is difficult.. Weight between the axles is a stabilizing influence, while outside the axles, either for or aft, has a very "polar" effect.

Reply to
clare

I had a 1968 Ford F100, rated half ton, I hauled 3,300 pounds of limestone gravel, but I didn;t have far to go, that lil sucker handled it like a champ.. I would not tried to go 24 miles, though.

Reply to
kimber