How Much Concrete Can A Pickup Carry? (2023 Update)

True!

FYI - 1/2 ton means nothing! I had a 1/2 ton with a cargo weight rating of

800 lbs. The same truck with different factory options could carry more than 1/2 ton. Depends on how the truck was ordered and built!

The weight rating can be found on a label on the driver's door or in the glove compartment typically. This is the weight rating for THAT specific truck.

The weight rating is not just how much weight the truck can hold, rather it is how much weight it can hold and still be driven SAFELY. This means braking when going downhill (and not having the brakes fail), turning corners and not rolling over, being able to suddenly brake and turn to avoid a kid running out in the street, etc.

Also if you load a vehicle with too much weight, the wheel bearings can get wrecked. Axles, bearings, wheels, and tires have weight ratings as well.

Reply to
Bill

It'll be fine, Kate. It's a good idea, though, to have them stack the bags of mix toward the front of the truck's bed to equalize the load a bit.

Nonny

Reply to
Nonny

Stops just fine.

Reply to
LSMFT

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 08:28:40 -0700, "Nonny" wrote Re Re: How Much Concrete Can A Pickup Carry?:

+1 on that. You won't have any problem with that load.
Reply to
Caesar Romano

Bingo!!

Look at a real 3/4 ton rear axle, then your 1/2 ton rear axle. Whole different animal. As for tires, you betchya! I was once stopped and cited in a company gravel truck because the FRONT TIRES! were not the proper ply/weight rating.

nb

Reply to
notbob

Let's put this in perspective. 900 lbs is four fat people. I see that load getting out of a car every day at the WalMart

Reply to
gfretwell

Kate wrote the following:

Look on the sticker on the drivers door frame. The load limit will be posted there.

Reply to
willshak

Essentialy my thought. It's within the weight rating, but make two trips.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

How old are the tires and what type, be sure to inflate them cold to just under the maximum, if the are 89 or have visable rot forget the trip.

Reply to
ransley

So what does it mean?

Reply to
Tony

Since I don't think anyone's mentioned it yet, put the load as far forward in the bed as possible and it will handle a little better (less sway).

However...if you're concerned about having that much weight near the center of the frame (I don't know whether you should or not) then either spread it out and drive slowly or make two trips and load it forward.

Reply to
Larry Fishel

What does any marketing term mean?

Reply to
keith

Just load the 900 lbs forward in the box to spread the load between the axles and Bob's your uncle.

Reply to
clare

What does it have to do with then? A half ton truck has a MINIMUM of 1000 lb carrying capacity - usually

1200 or more.
Reply to
clare

But they are NOT designed to go full stroke all the time.

Reply to
clare

Virtually every "half ton" truck on the road today will handle a full ton of payload if properly distributed and driven sensibly on reasonable road surfaces. Handling will not be fantastic, and you need to drive carefully to avoid having to do panic stops - but 900 lbs will definitely not hurt any half ton truck in reasonable condition under normal on-road driving conditions.

Reply to
clare

Tony wrote: ...

There is no state that I'm aware of that has load tag limits on light-duty trucks other than the highway axle limits that are far beyond what OP's asking to carry so legality is not going to an issue whatsoever.

The overall vehicle weight rating is the limiting limit but there's a lot of conservatism in them compared to reality.

The possible actual limiting factor for an old truck w/ almost no miles _MIGHT_ be the condition of the tires--are they still original or have they been replaced sometime in a relatively recent time frame?

The actual GVWR for the actual vehicle will be on a plate on the door column or in the glove box or somewhere else on the vehicle. If it's this pristine, there's likely the OEM book in the glove box as well.

As for the half-, 3/4-ton, etc., it is as someone noted, only a class rating that distinguishes basic group of axles/suspension/transmission/engine packages available. Each manufacturer is a little different but each tries to out-spec the other by a few pounds in their ratings for advertising purposes so they can tout "highest payload" and so they leapfrog each other from one model year to another.

--

Reply to
dpb

The front tires on a gravel truck carry a large portion of the weight. The gross vehicle weight for a D100, which is the lightest Dodge pickup except for the Mitsubishi supplied D50, ranges from 4001 to

5000 lbs depending on equipment. If it is a short box 6 cyl the curb weight is 2745 - and GVW is 4001,so the minimum payload capacity would be (4001-2745=)1256 lbs. If it is an 8 foot box V8, curb weight is 3909 and GVW is 5000 lbs, so payload is (5000-3909=) 1091 lbs..

This is on BASE MODEL D100 trucks - extra GVW options were also available. D150 would handle higher GVW (but is likely also a bit heavier empty)

Reply to
clare

terry wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@5g2000yqz.googlegroups.com:

Many moons ago I opened back slider window with mulch in the back. Mulch storm in the cab.

Reply to
Red Green

The suspension stops will not allow the shocks to bottom out.

Reply to
Steve Barker