How many wheelbarrows for a yard of concrete?

This is a rural area. They probably dont even have one. If they did, I am sure the cost would not be worth it. It's only one yard that has to be hauled. Actually, if they had an extra long chute, I could probably unscrew a few sheets of the barn steel siding and they could dump it thru the wall, but their chute is probably too short to get between the nearby garage and trees, and by the time I open the wall, using the wheelbarrow and having a few friends over seems easier.

Reply to
alvinamorey

I just read all the replies on here. I know better than to fill the WB (wheelbarrow) to the top. I mixed some concrete for another shed by hand (with an electric mixer). I once overfilled the WB and it tipped over. What a mess !!!! I was originally going to mix this shed by hand, but since I am doing the driveway, it only ends up costing $40 more, because they charge $30 more per yard for loads smaller than 3 yards. So, by ordering 3 yards, I am saving $60 on the first two. Or, in other words, 3 yards will cost $300, two yards would cost $260. So, I will be paying about $65 for that shed floor. (With that extra quarter yard). I can barely mix it for that, and it takes a lot of work to shovel all that sand and stone and make the mix right.

Here's another idea that I got today. The shed is attached to the rear of my barn (it's a feed room). The truck can not get in the rear by the shed because the garage and some trees are in the way. However, if I close the gate to fence out my horses, the truck could drive to the front of the barn where there is a 9foot wide sliding door. I know the door is too low for the truck to enter, but their chute could come right thru the barn. They'd need a chute about

25feet long. The barn itself is 20ft wide so if they parked 2 feet from the door, ran the chute thru the barn, (at a slight angle), they could pour it right into that shed. The door comes off easily enough.

Does anyone know how long the average chutes are on cement trucks?

Thanks Alvin

Reply to
alvinamorey

Call your readimix company. They'll tell you--it probably varies by model. A front discharge can reach 21 feet. A rear less. I'd look into a conveyor truck. They aren't as versatile as a pump, but they are cheaper, at least where I live. I just poured a three yard porch patio with one--cost me about 125 bucks above the cost of the concrete. They are good for small pours because the concrete and the conveyor show up on the same truck.

Reply to
marson

Good plan.

Call and find out. However long the chute is, that's some distance you don't have to manually hump the stuff.

Reply to
HeyBub

I assume you've already determined that the ground where the truck will be driven/parked can handle the weight?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yep. I can't believe how everybody got all wrapped up around 'how much does it hold' ignoring the fact that _noone_ with sense would ever fill a barrow full. At least noone who has ever moved even one barrow with mud in it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I have seen plenty of these chutes, and *DOGGONE IT NOW* I have trouble remembering if they are about 6 feet long, 8 feet long, 10 feet long or 12 feet long. I would say almost certainly under 15 feet. I am starting to think around 7 to 10 feet.

But if the chute stops 10 or 20 feet short of where the concrete has to go, you only need 2 or 3 wheelbarrows and wheelbarrow operators, maybe just 1 case of beer, maybe a boombox playing some good energizing "classic rock" or good energizing dance music from back when they knew how to make it!

Also, if you need the driver to do you favors and take some extra time or do tricky truck maneuvering, I think you have a good chance of gaining at least half a brownie point calling the stuff concrete rather than cement.

Don Klipstein

Holy cow! Now comes to my mind... When I asked a concrete truck driver about weights and yards, best as I remember besides a full load being 10 cubic yards and 20 tons, is what the truck weighed empty... That gets a little foggy now, but I'm pretty sure in or near the range of 12-15 tons.

You might want to find out if you are not the truck's last stop.

However, my experience has been that driveways don't get destroyed by having a small number of incidences of heavy trucks using them. You may get some cracks, etc.

Then again, ask the driver when the truck is approaching your property. The driver will probably have enough experience to be the expert to ask in that area. And I also advise to have enough wheelbarrows and well-fed well-fueled well-hydrated friends (soda and bottled water, make sure you have caffeine available, as well as beer and food) to be prepared for a bad answer from the truck driver. Also, I give some chance that offering the truck driver a soda or two to drink and a beer to take home can help - and also have bottled water in the cooler (a case of bottled water is usually $5-something at Target in my experience). Some people who you need to work with you may want at least at some moment water more than sugar, caffeine, food or alcohol.

Don Klipstein

replying to DerbyDad03, Tim wrote: You would not want to pay for a cement pump for one yard of crete will will prob laugh at you two buggie two guys max i could do it by myself without issues

Reply to
Tim

I did this once. $200 for the cement, $100 to bring the truck. It would have taken me 10 trips with the car just to get the materials. Plus I avoided cleaning the wheelbarrow afterwards.

(It was not a pump, just a regular 'beehive' truck.)

Reply to
Mike Duffy

For small quantities, I've always used "mix on site" concrete trucks. They come to your site and can provide anywhere from 1/4 yard up to about 10 yards or so. They only mix up what you need so there is no waste to dispose of. The trip out is most of the expense, so the more you order the cheaper it ends up being per yard.

The mix on site trucks cost a bit more, but they're a great option if you need small amounts.

Anthony Watson

HerHusband

Or just rent a mixer from your local "rent-all" or Home Despor and mix your own

Reply to
clare

By now the OP has been able to mix all he needed a teaspoon at a time.

Reply to
hrhofmann

replying to alvinamorey, Rodney D Mengel wrote: Exactly right,on the form. From the side's and leave the tail form, when you run out of cement take back a pile and secure the bulkhead. Most contractor grade wheelbarrows are 6cu,ft.

Reply to
Rodney D Mengel

replying to RedRover, Joshua wrote: It would take longer to get the truck out there, get set up, load the truck back up, and super expensive. Especially for 4 wheel barrels, 6 if not filled to top.

Reply to
Joshua

replying to HerHusband, Joshua wrote: Depends on the quality of concrete you want.

Reply to
Joshua

I've poured concrete for years, all you have to do is multiple width x length to get your sq. Footage, if it's a 4" pour divide that number by 80, if it's a 6" pour divide it by 60, have 3 guys wheeling 3 wheelbarrows, one guy spreading it out and screening it, have your guys start with half a wheelbarrow to see how comfortable they feel wheeling it, then add more if they think they can handle it, concrete is not a bad job, unless you let it get ahead of you, then your going to work your butt off, so stay ahead of it, edging, creases, floating, trowling, you can do it, don't sweat it.

Reply to
hilligossmichael

But apparently you've just begun posting to usenet.

Because the person you're replying to made their post on Octber 15, 2007.

Reply to
Home Guy