How long for firewood to dry?

nestork,

I don't follow this.

How can this be true? Wood floats, so it is less dense than water You say that this oak is 68% water which is the dense stuff. You remove that ( or most of it?) and the dryed wood still weighs 30 lbs? So you start out with 50 lbs of wood and remove more than 68% of it' s weight (the water). If the wood and water are of equal density the dryed wood would weigh 16 lbs. Wood's density is less than water's so you would actually end up with less than 16 lbs. of dry wood. Your PDF claims that dry wood is about 12% water. 68%-12%=56% so the dry wood can't weigh more than 44% of the starting weight yet you claim to have

30 lbs of wood which is 60% of the starting weight. What am I missing?

Dave M.

Reply to
Dave M.

Tell that to the three I have on the ground "out back" as a result of the

2004 hurricanes. Of course, two of them are still living :) So is another one that was struck and nearly girdled by lightning a handful of years ago. The *are* survivors.

OTOH, they are constantly having limbs die. The amount of tree trash from our 30+ oaks is phenomonal! Most of it is pencil size and smaller twigs but some is larger, some up to 15" in diameter and 15-20' long. Anytime I am around live oak trees I always check what is above my head.

Reply to
dadiOH

You don't have the same concerns when you are around dead oak trees?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Look what this site has to say:

Frank

Like last year!

I had to replace the fuel gauge sensor on my Chevrolet pickup. I had an oak tree that overhung the driveway, so I bought a chain lift and attached it to the lowest limb (HF, $40). Removing 8 bolts from the pickup's bed, I was able to lift the bed off the truck thereby gaining access to the gas tank and the fuel sensor. Shortly thereafter I sold the chain lift on Craigslist for $45.

Let's hear it for the old oak tree.

Reply to
HeyBub