How do you stop a fresh water spring from running???

There has been no answer given to your question.

The answer to the question is "pressure grout the stream".

answer to your problem may be more complex. Consult a drilling firm and seek that professional's input.

Reply to
Robert Charles Browne

I found a horizontal pipe in an overgrown field, away from any roads, that was shooting water 8 feet from the opening. I had gotten there by parking on the expressway, climbing down to stream level, going under the Xway and climbing up until I was about 100 feet from the xway.

It had flooded a couple acres where I wanted to work, land that was dry when I first looked at it, but wet for months and months afterwards. It was in Baltimore County so I called them. They said to call the city, which maybe provides the water for the Country. They said to call the County The second time, they took me more seriously. They finally capped the pipe maybe 3 months after I first reported it. I didnt' get back there much but when I did 3 or 4 months later, the land was dry again.

Reply to
micky

Same place the water's coming out?

Reply to
dennisgauge

Well, I took the advice given here and had the water company come out to take a look-see. I was right: it is water coming from behind the house. In other words, it's a spring.

Darn. I know others in this group are absolutely right whenever they say I need to give the old devil himself, the municipal inspector, a call to see what I am "allowed" to do with all of this water. Part of me really hoped it was the water line, mostly because I happened to sign on for water line protection back in June, just in case. Whenever the water dried up, I immediately suspected my initial thought was right and it was a spring. It was made even more clear once the rain started this fall. But somebody in here made sense whenever they said the dry ground could be soaking up all the water if there was a leak.

So I went for the cheap way out...and lost. I guess I will see what the inspector wants me to do...then PAY for it, garsh darn it.

Thanks for all the advice!

ray

Reply to
busbus

call inspector give just first name, lock out caller id and ask lots of questions.......

basically you can do what you want if no one complains..

Reply to
bob haller

In all probability the spring was either dried up or had been plugged during the construction of the house. In any case, if you try to stop it the result will be an eventual reoccurance somewhere else on your property. If the water has found its way to the surface once, it will do so again. The next time it comes up may be in an even worse location. My recommendation would be to clean it out to provide a clear opening and then provide a drainage to the street or other location that can accomodate a continous flow. Hell, you might even tap it for irrigation of the lawn.

Reply to
BobR

stick a pipe in it, lead it to a small wooden stand, add a hose bib off the pipe, and put up a sign "$.10/gallon fresh spring water".

Reply to
chaniarts

Sounds great except for the fact that it would be like waving a red cape in front of the bull government. They couldn't allow such withoug regulating the holy hell out of it and taxing it.

Reply to
BobR