How do you dissolve limescale in pvc pipes?

We have very hard water and some of our pvc pipes are developing limescale buildup. what is the best way to dissolve this?

Reply to
Steve

Sorry - I can't offer any help. But I know what HARD water is - I grew up on a poor well in a limestone bed.

  1. dripping taps / minor leaks will cause faster build-up . seems obvious ..
  2. Worry about the water heater - we could hardly _ move__ the lime-filled old water heater from Mom's house .. solid clogged !

John T.

Reply to
hubops

You need something like CLR but the problem is how to get it into the pipes to soak. It is probably easier to replace them and put in a softener for the whole house.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If it is all PVC, drain the system, cap the pipe at each fixture, fill it with muriatic acid from the highest point, take a nap and flush it out tomorrow from the lowest point. It will be clean as a whistle. Just be aware this will bubble up a might so be careful.

Reply to
gfretwell

It's phosphoric acid with some added surfactants. If you don't live in farm country, phosphoric acid is in the masonry section of Home Depot etc.

Reply to
rbowman

It all being PVC is key there. What about valve stems in sinks, toilet components, etc? And getting it in, making sure it gets where it needs to go could be an issue too. I'd dilute it to about 10% or so too. Personally, I'd be OK with using it, but if he wants something that's food grade, he could use vinegar or citric acid.

Reply to
trader_4