How do you detect a leak in your sewer line?

I have a dilemma. I havehad a soggy lawn for several months and suspect there is a leak in my sewer line (not on septic tank, I am on city sewer).

My main water line is fine. Red Triangle on meter indicates no leaks, city checked meter to make sure it was functioning, water bills OK

I have gotten conflicting information about what to do next. Some people say it will smell..others say it wont. One plumber suggested hiring one of the videocams to inspect the line.

Another plumber stated that videocams would not detect a crack or loose joint in the piping but only if there was a break. He suggested a "smokebomb" test. He told me that the PVC type pipe I have very rarely breaks unless something heavy drives over it. Im not sure what to do next...any suggestions?

Reply to
ncstan

Wet spot,,, shovel, investigate Call the locating service in your area before you dig to be safe.

I do not have the money to throw away for some plumber to pay for an camera.

Reply to
SQLit

Depending on where your sewers are. Here they range from 6 to 20 feet down. Leaks even at the shallow end would not create a soggy lawn. People have lived with leaking sewer lines for years and never new it until they clogged with debris or roots.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

A leak in the line coming up to your house to your meter will have no effect on the meter reading or your water bill.

Where is your meter located?

Reply to
Noozer

My concept was that after a few shovels full of dirt were removed the odor or no odor would be come very apparent. No odor would mean something else is wrong. In some areas of the country it could be an new spring. I had that happen to me in rural Iowa.

Reply to
SQLit

Wouldnt my grass be a funny shade of Green if my sewer was leaking?

Reply to
ncstan