how do I wire my shed for electricity?

I just need maybe 2 electrical outlets out in the shed, for running overhead flourescent lights, radio, occasional power tool. I could do without it, but it'd be nice, especially since i have bad eyes and need decent lighting. Do I need to run a circuit from the fuse box out to the shed? Or should I tap into an electrical outlet we have on the outside of the house? Also, when I run the electrical wire out to the shed, I assume it'll be automatically grounded -- from the main fusebox's ground? Thanks.

Reply to
JDL

It's probably best to run a dedicated circuit from the panel. If the shed isn't to far away You could run 12-2 UF cable and be sure to use GFCI outlets at the shed

Reply to
RBM

"RBM" wrote in news:VhFrg.174$ snipped-for-privacy@fe12.lga:

Reply to
Al Bundy

JDL wrote in news:1152326623 snipped-for-privacy@sp6iad.superfeed.net:

Local inspector will determine this but even if not required, while doing "nice" things it may be nice.

Again, find out from local inspections how deep it has to be and if it has to be in any conduit.

If wired to a breaker at the box and bare wire is wired to ground, yes.

If tapping into an outside outlet is permitted and you tie the bare to the bare in the outlet box and the outlet box bare is actually tied to the panel box ground, yea....if that's what you mean by automatic.

BTW, that outside outlet should already be a GFCI by code. I would think the shed would then be automatically GFCI if tapped to the load side of the GFCI. I do not know if the run length from the GFCI outlet to the shed has an effect on the protection. Here is the insert that comes with Leviton GFCI's:

Al Bundy

Reply to
buffalobill

Reply to