??? - How do did a pier footing under existing crawl space???

Hello:

I need to did 2 concrete footings for additional support piers under an existing crawl space. They need to be 2'x2'x2'. I have approximately

30" of crawl space (ground level to bottom of floor joists) to work in. How do you did a hole in those conditions? Hand tools?? Small spade?? Army shovel??

Thanks for any advise.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Holliingsworth

I would be seriously tempted to cast two 2'x2'x16" blocks outside, and drag them in place, without digging down at all.

--Goedjn

Reply to
default

Lotsa luck dragging a chunk of concrete that size and weight through an access scuttle. Yes, you dig down with a short shovel, down to unmolested dirt, probably about the same level as the existing footings of the perimeter wall. Easiest to mix the concrete for the footer in place- dig a square hole, pour in the sakcrete, while adding water with hose as you rapidly stir with a short hoe. You only have a few minutes to get a good mix.

Practical alternative if crawlspace is dry- use thick 2'x2' steel plates from local scrapyard, and screw posts that you can raise up as plate sinks into soil. In a dry crawlspace, the thick steel will last longer than you do. No, it ain't code, but it will work, and this is just to remedy sag anyway, not keep floor from collapsing, right? Don't forget you need to spread the load at top of piers, too, peferably with a real beam, but at least with spreaders several joist spaces wide.

aem sends....

Reply to
ameijers

Richard:

RH> I need to did 2 concrete footings for additional support piers under an RH> existing crawl space. They need to be 2'x2'x2'. I have approximately RH> 30" of crawl space (ground level to bottom of floor joists) to work in. RH> How do you did a hole in those conditions? Hand tools?? Small spade?? RH> Army shovel??

If it's what I'm picturing doesn't sound like fun. Probably hand tools while on one's knees. (Use knee pads like the flooring guys use, and/or a gardening kneeling pad.) Possibly the straight end of a crow bar or long piece of steel rod pointed at one end to loosen/chip away the dirt, shovel out into 5 gallon bucket and/or wheel barrow.

Might also be able to use a hoe to scoop back the loosened dirt.

  • Headline: Three Ambulances Take Blast Victim To Hospital
Reply to
barry martin

replying to Richard Holliingsworth, yo wrote: How do you did???????

Reply to
yo

Don't be making fun of Richard ding-a-ling. YOU are replying to a THIRTEEN YEAR OLD thread. The egg is on your face, not his.

Reply to
ItsJoanNotJoann