Hip roofs and ridge vents

I was going to add a ridge vent to my roof. I have a hip roof (two hips, one on each end). I was just going to do the top ridge. However, one of the sets of instructions I received said to do the hip ridges as well. Is this common? Neever seen one that way, I dont think. Todd

Reply to
Todd W. Roat

If you have a decent roof for a Ridge Vent, and sufficient soffet vents, I don't think the hip vents are necessary. At least in my humble non-roofing opinion. I would think the heat rising out of the ridge vent would be drawing air from lower parts of the hip vent, instead of the soffet vents.

Reply to
MF

i think if you did the hip ridge, depending on the wind you might get some water blown at an angle across the shingles into the vent, even some wicking might take place

i wouldn't do it

Reply to
Bring out the Gimp

if you are insulating the rafters and installing baffels (lets say, for a cathedral ceiling) then you would need the hip ridge vents but if it is clear open bays (attic floor insulated).....there is no need.

and yes I have seen them many times in N.E. since the 80's

C.A.

Reply to
Carpenter Ant

Wicking? Tom Baker